Protecting Your Music

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
06/17/2004 6:11 am
Hey all....finally online again (with my good ole' dsl connection). :)
Was getting fed up with dial-up....

So, I would like to discuss ways to protect one's musical creations. Copyright technically exists the second you create something, but obviously you'll need proof if a situation arises where someone steals your material.

1. Poor Man's Copyright (mail your works to yourself using registered mail. Clearly label the contents and only enclose one CD per collection of works. This is recognized by the courts as legit copyright in Canada and the USA and is significantly cheaper than using official copyright methods).

2. Socan (Canadian musical society for dispersing royalties to members within a band. Helpful for working out song writing credits within groups/bands).

This is an interesting aspect of the music scene and there's real-life stories such as Sarah McLaughlin's trial that demonstrate the complexity of song writing credits/copyright.

By the way, song-writing is different than 'arrangement'. Often times, people will think they wrote something because they put a bass line or a particular drum beat into a song...but that is 'arrangement'. Song-writing consists of lyrics and melody. Arrangement, on the other hand, is simply how a song is performed. You can take a Beatle's song, for example, and do a rock version, or a country version, or a reggae version...that is essentially what arrangements are. So things that may seem integral to a song are not necessarily considered writing-credits. David Bowie's 'Man Who Sold The World', for example, has that famous ascending bass line in the chorus section. The performer, however, did not get any credit for writing that part, however, because it is considered arrangement. Get it? :confused:

Add your thoughts...
# 1
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2004 10:36 pm
What about what guys like Weird Al, I mean if you change the lyrics but keep the same melody and stuff.

I did that for Piano man (played it on guitar) by Billy Joel, and changed all the words to have to do with my school and the inside jokes, etc... and performed at the talent show. It got a great response.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/19/2004 10:03 pm
I think ultimately it boils down to whoever can afford the best lawyer and has the time to spend years fighting it in court. Even if somebody rips off your music you still have to legally prove it in front of a jury.
That being said though, the best way to copyright your music is to actually legally copyright it. Even if it does cost you, it's better than mailing your music to yourself or whatever and just hoping for the best.
Personally, I legally copyright everything I post here... plus I've got dated proof of when it was posted online in several different countries. But if somebody from some third world country decided to rip off one of my leads or riffs, there's really dick all I could do about it except publicly embarrass the guy over the internet for being a thief.
If it's just similar or has one or two catchy riffs in it that sound like something you wrote, you're pretty much screwed.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.