View post (Metallica-led zepplin)

View thread

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
07/04/2004 2:06 pm
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeLed Zeppelin are definately more famous, who hasn't heard of stairway to heaven or whole lotta love?

However, i'd much rather Kirk Hammet taught me the guitar than Jimmy Page. Have you heard Jimmy Page solo recently? Apart from his recorded versions I'd say he's an awful lead guitarist. Around 80% of the notes he hits are dead or buzzing, you could argue it's because he spends most of the shows improvising his solo's, but I wouldn't say thats any excuse. If he wasn't the guitarist from the yardbirds or led zeppelin then he wouldn't be rated half as good of a guitarist. Kirk Hammet isn't exactly a guitar god either, but at least he doesn't sound like he's been playing for 2 months when he solo's.

Obviously that's just my opinion and im sure it will vary somewhat from everyone elses. (More along the lines of everyone will complain that I just said Jimmy Page sucks)

- J

I agree with you man, Jimmy is quite sloppy live. Kirk Hammet DOES hit every note on his solos, a good percent of the time ( even tho i could :) ). But generally it comes down to, Led Zeppelin can write much better songs than Metallica. I mean look at some of the classics they they have wrote. But Metallica, They WERE great, but i think they will be forgotten. Poeple will never forget Led Zeppelin.

Oh yeah and ezmoney, you know without Led Zeppelin there porbabaly wouldnt be the kind of heavy metal there is today. They inspired alot of people. So what you said earlier could work too.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar