Sponsors

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/02/2004 2:44 am
I'm considering attempting to get a sponsor for, well, anything I can really. I've already found out what to send and where. Now, my question is does anyone know anything that would be good to know when dealing with this kind of situation? Should I hold off or go for it? Any risks? Any info would be great.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
Inisfail
Inisfail
06/02/2004 10:10 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsAny info would be great.

Well, I don't know anything 'bout it, but you said "any".. =D

I guess you'll come up with somekind of deal. I mean, I don't think you can take the money and then go to the local blues bar and by whiskey for the cash. I think that you are somehow responsible to give credits to those who sponsor you, like wearing a t-shirt with the sponsors name on it, or maybe you most, when performing live, shout it out who without's help this wouldn't be able to happen etc.

Anyway, I recomend you to instead of asking 1 company for $5000 you should perhaps contact 10 companies and ask for $750 each. Also, you will come up with somekind of date when the sponsor doesn't count anymore. I mean, after a year the company perhaps have to pay you again if they wan't to keep their names on your clothes.

Or, you could simply contact a record company and they fix it all for you.. Less money but more time to focus on the music, perhaps.. =/

;) Good luck, dude!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/02/2004 1:24 pm
I would think he means that Dunlop would give him free picks or GHS would give him free strings, in exchange for being an official Dunlop/GHS user.

I would find it hard to imagine that they'd give you cold hard cash upfront just for wearing a t-shirt or something.

I don't know anything about it, either, but one risk I could think of would be if you locked yourself into a contract. That's a mistake young people make a lot, since 5 years or whatever doesn't seem that long. You never know when a better offer is in the pipes.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
06/02/2004 1:24 pm
And that's not a drug reference.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/02/2004 6:26 pm
Well, I use ernie ball strings on my electric and I've never had any problem with them. I wouldn't have any problem signing any length of contract for them because that's what I prefer. I've played other strings and found that ernie ball suits me just fine. However, something like guitars or gear ofany kind, that might be a different situation. Perhaps if I could get a discount, but I don't want to be on a contract with any gear company for too outrageously long. I don't want to be a solid Jackson or Gibson user when other brands get different feels. But at this point in my life a 5 year contract doesn't seem all that bad as I'm hardly gonna go and get as much as I can. I'm just curious about getting started. Y'know, starting small. If a better deal comes by I'm not sure how much I'll care as there's still the future, but the point is still valid and good all the same.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
b_hoves
b_hoves
06/03/2004 12:01 am
I have a friend that got sponsored by a guitar store, got guitars and a accessories at cost price plus a dollar. That could be a good way to go. Had to wear their T-shirts, and he had one of their stickers on his gig amp.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2004 1:01 am
You'll need a promo kit at the very least. Some larger companies will want album sales or a list of venues you've played at.
Usually, unless you're a bona-fide 'star', the sponsorship deal they offer will be nothing more than a discount on future purchases in return for advertising.
Get legal representation & keep in mind that if you're in an upcoming band, you may want to wait until you're in a better position to bargain before signing any contracts.
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/03/2004 3:44 pm
Ok, thanks, all this will be taken into deep consderation. Makes me think I should probably just hold off until I'm better and in a better situation to do such things.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.