hendrix vs. van halen

Dante7978
Dante7978
08/21/2005 2:48 am
Originally Posted by: RedZepWhy does it always seam, right when things calm down, someone has to come and yell again, waaaahhhhhhhhh.

Where did I say it was easy to play? Quote me on that please. I said if you locked me in my room, with a guitar and an amp (for a week (though it must have been 2 am and I forgot to type that)) I could learn it.

I know what the hell an opinion is, I don't need you to tell me. If my "opinion" comes off to you as sounding like a fact, that's your problem. Not mine. I'm not trying to convince anyone to think the way I do. That's the problem with opinions, everyone has an opinion on everyone's opinion of someones opinion. (Gee, thats a screwed up sentance. . .).

I don't HAVE to have a guitar with a tremelo bar to play the song, indeed, but regardless, it's in the song, and I choose to play it that way.

Done with my rant-back.

I'm glad this happened, I get to learn a whole bunch of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise. Like the bit on the harmonics, brilliant, I didn't know that, though i'm what one would call an "illiterate guitar player".

My fingers hurt (from playing, not typing), now for dinner. Dante7978; I'll be awaiting your rant-back, because I know you'll have one. Everyone does. :)

RedZep

Ok, here comes the expected rant back. We all know the concept of opinions, I'm just restating the concept, and telling you my opinion. (Whoa, unexpected...) As for the conceited part, there's some things I have to say:
You said "I could play that if you locked me in a room with my guitar, an amp, and the recording. . . that's just pure brainlessness right there. " So in this this statement, you said you could play it. Not learn it. And mentioning the "recording" in that statement won't help, because most guitarists like play along with the songs. And saying, "I love it when people challenge me to play songs that are the genre of music I like, because even if I don't like the song in general, I'll learn whatever anyway. Proving people wrong is so much fun. " is pretty arrogant of you to say. And another thing, I accidently mistook you for another guy here. I just remembered the thread "8 year old virtuoso" where he said that the kid was nothing special, and he could do better. Now that was the REAL conceited guy. Sorry for mistaking y'all, kinda easy since y'all both love blues. Oh, and saying stuff like this, "Why does it always seam, right when things calm down, someone has to come and yell again, waaaahhhhhhhhh." only helps continue the problem. But things like this, "Dante7978; I'll be awaiting your rant-back, because I know you'll have one. Everyone does. :)" helps prevent it. I don't want to start a war, I was just caught in one of my moments of rage. It's just that I HATE conceited people. I'm sure you can understand. I don't want anymore rants hit back and forth, cuz there's many in this thread as it is. So let's just let bygones be bygones.
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
# 1
RedZep
RedZep
08/21/2005 3:07 am
Above resolved in the Chat Room.

Back to life.

RedZep
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/21/2005 5:14 am
Originally Posted by: RedZepAbove resolved in the Chat Room.

Thanks -- I was about to warn you guys to tone things down a bit before I had to close the thread.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
RedZep
RedZep
08/21/2005 5:33 am
Sorry 'bout that Rask.

On a higher note, yet still related to the new topic!

http://www.bobbyyang.com/video/750kb.htm

This dude kicks some serious ass with the Violin! :D

RedZep

EDIT: Only the link isn't working right now. . . :confused:
# 4
dakine80
dakine80
08/22/2005 12:21 am
Red Zep-

For the risk of sounding redundant, PLEASE don't worry about the tremolo parts. You got until mid-September. I don't want to hear excuses.
# 5
RedZep
RedZep
08/22/2005 9:01 am
I'm not worried about it, it's the last thing on my list of things to work out on this song. All I need to work out is the acuracy of my playing. I just hate it when things don't "sound" right. If you sound good, you play good, in my opinion.

I'm not giving excuses, you want to give me a full month? I would have stuck with the week myself, but it's fine with me. ;)

Going to bed, it's 2 AM,

RedZep <---- no space between the Red and the Zep.
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/08/2005 8:54 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZepI'm not worried about it, it's the last thing on my list of things to work out on this song. All I need to work out is the acuracy of my playing. I just hate it when things don't "sound" right. If you sound good, you play good, in my opinion.

I'm not giving excuses, you want to give me a full month? I would have stuck with the week myself, but it's fine with me. ;)

Going to bed, it's 2 AM,

RedZep <---- no space between the Red and the Zep.

Shouldn't we have heard this last month?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
rawrockkills
rawrockkills
10/14/2005 8:52 pm
i think evh is the better guitar player... jimi hendrix could put on a show but he wasnt as good as evh... although hendrix did die in his 20's so he couldve gotten better. i also think eddie wins for being able to improvise something as great as eruption.... :)
# 8
gogogo
gogogo
10/14/2005 8:55 pm
Why have this arguement when there is no definitive answer??

I mean two styles

two eras

two different Worlds!
# 9
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/15/2005 9:17 am
I think hendrix was a pioneer for distortion effects and alot of the gear we use today and even musically..but as far as actually playing the guitar..van halen would blow him off the stage.
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/15/2005 9:25 am
Originally Posted by: rawrockkillsi think evh is the better guitar player... jimi hendrix could put on a show but he wasnt as good as evh... although hendrix did die in his 20's so he couldve gotten better. i also think eddie wins for being able to improvise something as great as eruption.... :)

It wasn't improvised.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 11
Gretschky
Gretschky
10/15/2005 5:06 pm
Originally Posted by: zepp_rulesi'm having an argument with a friend at school,
he says Eddie Van Halen is a better guitarist
than Jimi Hendrix
i say the opposite

voice your opinion and reasons

I am equally impressed by them both...

yet I prefer listening to Eddie Van Halen
I thought my name was dammit til I was 18 years old... :cool:
# 12
Sk8er309
Sk8er309
11/17/2005 2:40 am
I personally think Jimi Hendrix is the best ,but thats my opinion.
# 13
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/17/2005 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: gogogoWhy have this arguement when there is no definitive answer??

I mean two styles

two eras

two different Worlds!

Yes. My friends, there is no universal measuring stick to determine the greatness of guitarists, making the "who is better" question, in this case unfair.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/17/2005 3:12 am
Meh. I enjoy it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 15
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/18/2005 9:08 pm
you can't compare them, they are to different I say.
but that's because what hendrix started, Edward went on with that. Hendrix needed to search things out, Eddie also, but allready had what Hendrix had done.

They are to different, but I say Van Halen. He's an artist and Hendrix a piece of crap.
# 16
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/18/2005 9:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonMeh. I enjoy it.

Ya. I gues just because you can't doesn't mean you can't. :D
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 17
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
11/18/2005 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: zoran the dark
They are to different, but I say Van Halen. He's an artist and Hendrix a piece of crap.

How dare you call hendrix a piece of crap :mad: !!! If it wasnt for hendrix, you most likely wouldn't have people like VAN HALEN, or satriani, vai, or pretty much anyone else after him for that matter, because he accomplished so much on the guitar, oh yeah and by the way all he had to learn from was buddy guy, hubert sumlin, robert johnson, people like that. What did eddie have? Hendrix, clapton, jeff beck, jimmy page, should the list go on?! And he did that in about 3 years, eddie did it in 10.
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 18
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
11/19/2005 1:25 am
Originally Posted by: Blues_ManHow dare you call hendrix a piece of crap :mad: !!! If it wasnt for hendrix, you most likely wouldn't have people like VAN HALEN, or satriani, vai, or pretty much anyone else after him for that matter, because he accomplished so much on the guitar, oh yeah and by the way all he had to learn from was buddy guy, hubert sumlin, robert johnson, people like that. What did eddie have? Hendrix, clapton, jeff beck, jimmy page, should the list go on?! And he did that in about 3 years, eddie did it in 10.

nicely done!!!! Hendrix is the man
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 19
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
11/19/2005 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: 16andlifetogonicely done!!!! Hendrix is the man

Thank you!! You can't mess with hendrix!!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.