"Three warning sign that your band might be headed towards an analyst couch," Spin!

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/23/2004 10:33 pm
Well I was reading through Spin magazine, and they had an article on a new documentary "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster." Its about the past few years of Metallica's problems and such, and how they managed to get through it. It actually looks pretty interesting, and I can't wait to see it myself.
On the byline there was a list of three problems that bands have which were:
"1. You're too lazy
"Slacking in an unconscious response to a fear of success," says Towle (Metallica's therapist). "You can't just tell a slacker, 'You're not coming to practice on time, and expect that guy's behavior to change. The band should spend time every day talking about what's on their minds. With Metallica, we'd spend from 11 am to 1 pm talking, and then we'd go into the studio."

2. You're Too Competitive
"Unless you're under deadline, its not particularly useful to force yourself to create. Creative visionaries have a vision of how things should go because it's so authentic to them. It comes from deep inside, and it's hard to share it. The purpose of human competition is to raise the level of excellence. But when you sense that the competition is getting personal, then you need to sit down and get at what's going on underneath."

3. You're too Famous

"Let's say that when you were a kid, you were a loner, and you used your music to retaliate against the world. You wrote some great stuff, and it's accepted, but as you become more and more accepted, your personality hasn't come along for the ride. Fame is not an answer to your personality's struggle-success is not an antidote for unhappiness.""

Anything you guys would like to add? Comments? Stories to share? I want to hear from you guys. I know just reading through this I was like... wow my bands only been around since Feb. and we're starting to have some of these problem.

# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/24/2004 8:53 am
Originally Posted by: iiholly wow my bands only been around since Feb. and we're starting to have some of these problem.

you are too famous???? :eek: :eek:

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/24/2004 2:21 pm
Yes, of course. Thats why I said some of the problems, but next time I'll specify for you azrael. :D

# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/24/2004 5:07 pm
#1: This comes down to control issues. A really poisonous personality clash can happen when one or more members have urgent ambitions, and others just want to have fun. No coincidence that this is the first item in the list. This is often the first problem to arise.

I think the most insidious of the band-killers you've listed is #2. It's the reason behind so many solo projects that get in the way of a band's progress together. If you create something, you usually have a pretty clear sense of what it should sound like, and how it should be done. When you present your baby to the rest of the band, it will inevitably get changed as the rest of the players interpret what you've given them. It could be due to stylistic differences; it could be that some of 'em can't do what you expect of them. Picture the look on Jimmy Page's face the first time he heard Dred Zeppelin doing regae versions of his best material! :eek:

#3: Can't say I've been there, myself. But I suggest that even a brief glance at Motley Crue can illustrate the point. Well-adjusted human beings. NOT. :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/25/2004 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings Picture the look on Jimmy Page's face the first time he heard Dred Zeppelin doing regae versions of his best material! :eek:

What are you talking about?!?!? Dred Zeppelin rocks!!!! Ragga, mon!

I just downloaded The Refreshments' front man's new band (The Peacemakers) doing a reggae version of Crazy Train, "Rasta Train". It was wicked.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/25/2004 6:22 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWhat are you talking about?!?!? Dred Zeppelin rocks!!!! ...
Some things should be left in the deepest, darkest recesses of my most secret mind. Ever since I wrote that, I've been haunted by images of their Elvis-impersonater frontman doing rastafarian "Good Times, Bad Times".

AAoooowwooo! No! No more! Pleeease! :eek: Make the bad man go 'way!!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.