View post (Virtuosos and the mainstream)

View thread

Fruitbat
Fruitbat
05/13/2004 8:11 am
I dont know what's up with the public in the UK, but they cant seem to handle musicians that can actually play hence why musicians we here admire rarely cross over to the mainstream. Simple song structures and at best adequate instrumental skills seem to be the order of the day e.g. Kylie's 'I cant get you out of my head' and Oasis 'Wonderwall'. Even in the UK general music media there is a kind of snobbish attitude towards guitar virtuosos who are always written off as mindless widdlers. Bet you anything most of these critics have never even heard any albums by Satch et al. I think it's something about instrumental music that doesnt click with people who's collections mainly comprise Top 20 albums bought in supermarkets and 'Now that's what I call music 1, 457'. Probably also explains why jazz and classical music are also marginal tastes. So, what's it like where you live? Do the likes of Satch and VAI shift squillions of units and top the albums charts or they also only famous within the guitarist community?