Tone goals

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/06/2004 2:21 pm
Alright, this is the Tone section, and I am its master.

That being established:

1. What is "that tone" that you are all seeking?

2. What equipment do you use/would you use to achieve it?

3. Have you reached "that tone" yet?

For me:

1. It's somewhere in between Slash, BB King and David Gilmour, and a mix of them all. Basically, a nice, pure, overdriven sound with plenty of sustain. Actually, some of Gilmour's tones are too processed for me. I like the sound of a guitar into an amp dialed up to 9.

2. I'm probably going to have a nice low-wattage amp soon (depending on how long it takes LATS to make me one ;)). Then, maybe I'll put some SD Alnico Pro II's in, like Slash. Or maybe I'll just use the stock MIM pickups; I'd have to admit that there's some cachet in making the best of what you have, instead of pulling a New York Rangers (you'd have to be a hockey fan to understand that one).

3. Nope.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
05/06/2004 6:15 pm
Some of my favorite artists tones are from Slash, SRV, & KWS. My personal tone using my XXX head has a Slash type "in your face" punchy distortion that cleans up to a nice overdriven bluesy tone, and also a real fat boogieish metal distortion on the other channel. My classic 50 tone is a real fat creamy bluesy type tone when using the neck pup on the PRS, and great classic to 80's rock when distorted. Once I build my custom strat I will be able to achieve all the tones I desire, that I can't quite get yet. As far as my clean tone goes, the XXX is a little more punchy and aggressive(if that can be associated with clean) than the buttery warm tones of the classic 50. besides my amps and my guitar I use chorus, delay, and reverb to achieve my "3 demensional translucent" clean tones. Oh, and another thing that helps me achive certain big and fat rock tones is my marshall 1960a cabbinet.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
05/07/2004 4:47 am
LOL@New York Rangers

1) I would love to have Steve Vai's tone. Very smooth and rich, but it can also be nice and heavy.

2) My gear sucks besides my axe.

3) Close, but need a Carvin Legacy. Anyone want to buy me one? My birthday is coming up!!! :D
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/07/2004 5:19 am
1) i never realy had a specific tone in mind. i was, however, never realy satisfied with my tone. but now i am.

2) Just my Dragon and an 100 Watts Kustom Quad FX Amp

3) Yes.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
SPL
SPL
05/07/2004 1:51 pm
1) I was on a quest for "The Tone" ever since I started playing, untill I realized that it doesn't really matter that much. What IS important is having a tone that works within the context you're working in, and in most situations I'm able to achieve that.
2) Whatever I can get my hands on. For versatility, I like the amp modelers these days.
3) Not really. As long as it works with the rest of the music, I'm satisfied.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/08/2004 4:06 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggman

1. What is "that tone" that you are all seeking?

2. What equipment do you use/would you use to achieve it?

3. Have you reached "that tone" yet?

Ah, well now...

1. I found out some time ago that most of it's in my hands. I've been trying to assemble a rig that brings it out.

2. I use a pair of 1984 Yamaha SBG1000 guitars with D'Addario EJ21 strings (.012" - .052") for most of my stuff, but I have a couple of Washburn Stage Series axes set up for D'Addario EXL110 (.010" - .046") for when I want to get slinky. I found old Ampeg V-series amps have just the kind of 'forceful reality' I like, but at stupid-loud volume.

3. Yeah! :D Now I want to be able to produce that sound without re-arranging the atomic structure of everything within 20 feet! I'm working on that. (Relax, eggman - enjoy your Skylark!).

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/11/2004 10:38 pm
*Shameless bump*
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
DarkSoul(X)
DarkSoul(X)
05/24/2004 3:36 am
1.) My tone is kinda of a weird mix. Kirk Hammet, Dimebag Darell and Kurt Cobain, with the acoustic styles of Jerry Cantrell!

2.) My Set-up just completly suxs, but i make do, I have a Lotus(Wannabe Fender Strat) and a stone 15watt amp. I'm poor. When i do upgrade my set-up i'm going with a mesa-boogie triple Rectifer, and a ESP Kirk Hammet Signature. Oh yeah, I use the Zakk Wylde Signature GHS Boomers, they r great they have awesome sound and r tough as hell!

3.) Soon!!!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.