View post (solos)

View thread

Joseph
Joseph
02/11/2001 2:41 am
Originally posted by LuigiCabrini

As for scales and soloing, play long enough and scales become less relevent. You think more about intervals, and what sounds the notes will create, than what notes are in a certain scale.

A Minor pentatonic I meant say, :). With soloing, its important to follow the rules to the point where its jammed into your head, but once you allow yourself to get past that step its important to know enough to rely on your instincts. You'll know when its time to move on. When writing solos its all about confidence, a record producer might tell you that its out of key or perhaps in the key of z, but if its played from the heart, you really can't go wrong, (but if a part of you feels that it could be better than go with that feeling.) I think for every serious guitarist, its safe to say that we are never quite satisfied, even when it comes to our finished compositions. But thats a good thing, because are always finding new ways to expand our creativity (as well as perfecting our style.) Its just very important to know who you are as a musician and soloist, and its takes sacrifices to get there. To find your sweet spot.

Its important to know how to play over changes (naturally) as well as being able to create your own static, in Stairway to Heaven" Jimmy Page demonstrates a very unique and skillful approach to plying over changes, in other words soloing over eacg chord rather than using one scale to play through the whole progression. [i] Whatever floats your boat, learn enough so you can use your creativity to its fullest extent...

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."