Basic questions

Inisfail
Inisfail
04/26/2004 11:00 pm
Hi!

I havn't recorded anything before, and I just want to know where to start. Do you mick you amps? I will mainly focusing on metal-stuff and I'm afraid I will lose some of the sound. can I put some cable right into the amp from the computer? I have a MG30 Marshall amp.

Soundcard? Software programs?

Anything, please!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
Death55
Death55
04/27/2004 12:46 pm
Thats cool. You have exactly the same amp as me. I am recording directly to the computer at the moment by using some cable from the amp to the computer. Its better if you can get a good quality mic to record. When you record directly you dont get the same sound because the sound isnt going through the air before its recorded. I'm not really sure how to get a good sound recording direct but i'm sure there are way. Most people record using mics though. I guess i need some more info on how to record because i always find it sounds really bad when i record anything.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/27/2004 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Death55I am recording directly to the computer at the moment by using some cable from the amp to the computer.

I'd be careful if I were you, plugging in direct from the amp to the soundcard. Either use the search tool or ask someone like DrSimon or Lordathestrings, etc., who might be able to explain why this might damage your soundcard.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 3
Death55
Death55
04/27/2004 3:16 pm
Yes. I've heard i can damage the soundcard. I dont think it has yet. Would be good if Dr simon or lordofthestrings could explain why and how to avoid it :)
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/27/2004 4:21 pm
I have a Digitech Rp-6 that I run a cable from the line out to the soundcard of my computer and it records perfectly.

I like doing it this way than with a mic, because I know the exact sound I'm going to get out of my pedal. I can put on headphones and hear exactly what I'm going to get when I play.

Other than that, you need a pretty good mic, Shure SM58 or SM57, and the rest is up to the Doc.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 5
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
04/27/2004 10:20 pm
Yeah, I woudn't mic an amp up unless I was recording in a studio. Theres too much chance of background noise ending up in the recording. Say you've just got a legato run done perfectly for the first time in 12 tries and then someone opens the door...you'd kill them :p
# 6
b_hoves
b_hoves
04/28/2004 1:47 am
I think the damage comes because the ohms or signal from the headphone outputs (I'm guessing this is how your wiring it straight into the sound cards) is different to that used by mics. Thus the signal from the headphone jack could overload the soundcard.
# 7
Death55
Death55
04/28/2004 10:40 am
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeYeah, I woudn't mic an amp up unless I was recording in a studio. Theres too much chance of background noise ending up in the recording. Say you've just got a legato run done perfectly for the first time in 12 tries and then someone opens the door...you'd kill them :p

Yes. That is annoying when someone walks into the room just when your about to finish recording and starts speaking to you. I think i would just record when no one was in the house. Or if i turned the amp up loud enough so no one could be heard... that might work :D
# 8
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/28/2004 10:42 am
Originally Posted by: Death55Thats cool. You have exactly the same amp as me.[/QUOTE]

:D Yeah, thats a good one!

[QUOTE=Jamiephofe]Yeah, I woudn't mic an amp up unless I was recording in a studio. Theres too much chance of background noise ending up in the recording. Say you've just got a legato run done perfectly for the first time in 12 tries and then someone opens the door...you'd kill them.

That's one issue I've been thinking about, and I find it more logic to record directly into the soundcard. But that damaging thing doesn't sound very good. Isn't there trick to overcome that problem?

What kind of wire do I have to use? Tele-cabel wont fit my soundcard. Must I buy a new one, speciell designed for recording with guitar? Please continue posting.
# 9
Death55
Death55
04/28/2004 11:22 am
The way i am recording direct is by rnning a cable from the line out on the amp to where the mic would be plugged into the computer. I dont know if this is how your suppose to do it though :(
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/28/2004 1:35 pm
That's fine, plugging in a line-level output into a mic input; you're not overpowering the input. However, the problem lies in plugging a high-voltage output (e.g. the signal from your speakers) into a mic input (which is designed for mics - completely unamplified input).

Do a search for "input" or something along those lines in this section of the forum, and you'll find some useful info from Doc Simon. I think he's away for a while, but I'm sure he'll jump in on this thread as soon as he gets back. In the meantime, make good use of the knowledge that has already been dispensed in this section and "search".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/28/2004 4:40 pm
Good suggestion, eggy.
# 12
Death55
Death55
04/29/2004 8:47 am
As long as my computer doesnt break. Its crap enough as it is. I think i'm just going to get a good mic though. Recording directly just doesnt seem to give me a good quality recording :(
# 13
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/03/2004 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1Other than that, you need a pretty good mic, Shure SM58 or SM57, and the rest is up to the Doc.

I checked up those mics, but they're pretty expensive.. Isn't their any cheap copies?
# 14
captureroftyme
captureroftyme
05/05/2004 5:21 pm
Was up guys (and gals), I too just started useing my computer as my recording studio. I go from my marshall head (useing the line out), into a Tascam 4 track and then into the computer, and I get a pretty decent sound, you have to figure out how to tweak it all digitally :confused: . I use Adobe Audition for my recording software and im really happy with it, the effects are great, its easy to use, and has A TON of features to play with. You can go to www.adobe.com and download a trial version.
BUT, I would suggest you get a good soundcard, and an audio interface. Both of which can be a little costly, but you can get a basic Audio Interface for around $100 and about $150 for the sound card, all good investments if you want to get the best out of your tone.
Anyway, just my opinion. ;)
# 15
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2004 10:10 am
B_hoves has hit the nail on the head regarding impedance.

IMHO it is much more difficult to get a nice sound using a mic than recording direct and this is because there are a lot more things that can go wrong using a mic. However, once you know what you are doing then the absolute best results can be had with a mic.

I normally use a Pod and I have been very happy with the results. it is posable to pick up a Pod 2 on ebay for very little cash and if you are serious about recording the guitar, it is a very good investment.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 16
Inisfail
Inisfail
05/11/2004 11:27 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI normally use a Pod and I have been very happy with the results. it is posable to pick up a Pod 2 on ebay for very little cash and if you are serious about recording the guitar, it is a very good investment.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good mic, I'll check it up

[QUOTE=captureroftyme]I use Adobe Audition for my recording software

I read a guide with Johan Lindgren where he showed step by step how to record into mp3 with Goldwave, so I guess I'll try that one first..

Thanks guys! I starting to get somekind of clue what I need to buy! I hope you'll hear some of my recordings soon!!!
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.