Idea

basics
basics
04/23/2004 4:21 pm
Do to the fact that recently I had to practice up some cover tunes for a gig this weekend (which is going to suck for reasons I won't divulge) I came up with what I think is a decent idea for guitarists of all levels.

I'm a good guitarist and what this gig made me realize was that it's always important to branch out in styles in which you may not particularily always partake in. Just the little stuff in some of the tunes that you may not have listened to or analysed deeply before.

What I purpose is a poll taken every week of 5 songs that somebody's picked out (it could rotate person to person or whatever, take turns etc). Everybody votes on a tune, and then at the end of the week the top 3 tunes from the poll gets learned by everybody who wants to throughout the next week and the rest of the thread is dedicated to any questions/comments etc throughout the learning process.

So really, all it is is a method of expanding your repitoire and to experience some techniques you may or may not have had looked at previously.

While in one thread people are talking about the 3 tunes that everybody's learning throughout the week, another has been started with the poll deciding what's to be learned the next week.

Thread examples

Learn that Tune - Week 1
or
Cover Constipation - Week 1 etc.
# 1
basics
basics
04/23/2004 4:23 pm
Can close the poll after a week too, which is cool.
# 2
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/23/2004 5:13 pm
Basics.. that's an awesome idea!!!!

funny you should post something like that now, I just did my first open mic last night. I've played in front of people before but never mic'd or anything.. it's usually just for friends to amuse myself. I learned last night about all the things I DON'T know and how I'd really like to expand my "song list"

great idea!!!!

so - the question now is.. who else likes this and under which topic does it go?
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/23/2004 5:45 pm
I like the idea.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
basics
basics
04/25/2004 1:04 pm
Guitar Basics and Guitar Tab are the two appropriate subjects for it. There's going to be 2 threads at any given time (the old ones can just be deleted because we don't want 104 threads a year pumping through there). Or if not, a less used thread could be used, ie. Songwriting or Recording. Personally, I'd say Guitar Tab should be used. In fact, tonight I'm going home to my cd player, and if there's no objections, I'll start this puppy out with 5 decent tunes for people to pick 3 of.

A decent name for this thing would be appreciated. I'm going to use Learn That Tune - Week 1 if nobody suggests anything else.
# 5
Petz
Petz
04/25/2004 1:14 pm
i like the idea very much. but i don't know if it really works, because some of us just started playing and others are playing 10 years, so it'll be difficult to find songs which are fine for everybody.
# 6
basics
basics
04/25/2004 10:55 pm
Well see, that'll be the whole point of the matter. Once the songs are chosen, the rest of the thread is dedicated to questions that some folk may have concerning the tunes that are being learnt (plus you can vote on which tune you want to learn, so it's not as if it'll be limited to the most technical songs on there). It's all about expanding your repitoire and learning new techniques. Now I'll pick some tunes that I consider worthy of the official first week and then I'll probably edit it tomorrow when I'm sober. But check guitar tab.
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/25/2004 11:23 pm
I think that's a great idea. I hope it works out.

# 8
basics
basics
04/26/2004 3:05 pm
Well I'm going to do it anyway, because I think it's great motivation to branch out and learn some tricks you otherwise wouldn't. Only problem I see happening is folks not owning the music to not be able to listen to it. I'm sure you've all got buddies though that might have them.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.