picking technique to play at 180 bpm?

u10ajf
u10ajf
04/26/2004 3:58 pm
Does anybody here know of a technique called hummingbird picking?
I know of 3 muscle groups that can move a pick:

1)the thumb and 1st finger.
2)the wrist
3) the forearm.

It has occured to me that if all three groups could be used together it might help a person to pick faster. Is this right/wrong? anybody have any ideas about this?

I think most of my alternate picking comes from my forearm, most of my sweep from the wrist, is this wrong?

I don't know how fast I can pick but I won't be happy till I can whir like Pettrucci...
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
Petz
Petz
04/26/2004 6:27 pm
i dont know what hummingbird picking is...sry

and 4) with your shoulder... (nu metal :P )

"It has occured to me that if all three groups could be used together it might help a person to pick faster. Is this right/wrong? anybody have any ideas about this?"
well i don't know, but i don't think so. i try to only pick one way a make that perfect. but as long as you're fast and accurate it doesn't matter how you do it right? but whatever you do practice with a metronome...
# 2
Broham
Broham
05/02/2004 12:39 am
i hope no one has mentioned this before me, 'cause i haven't read the last 2 pages, but...

i think the main problem with people that practitce but can't seem to play any faster is tenseness, whether in the fingers, wrist, shoulder, foot, whatever. Some players just try so hard that they forget to relax. One guitar teacher i found (i wish i could remember his website) called the feeling of playing fast "the incredible lightness." this is literally what you have to feel. so, next time you are playing and are not able to achieve a certain speed, stop yourself in the middle of a run and check to see if any part of your body is tense. If it is, take a second to relax, and try to play the run like you were about to go to sleep (it's an exagerration, but you what i mean)

I once played with a guy onstage that would lift his foot off the ground like a dog taking a piss every time he hit a high note with his voice and was playing guitar at the same time....

That said, keep practicing and keep on rockin'! peace
# 3
Petz
Petz
05/02/2004 12:23 pm
yes, i read the article about incredible lightness too. i'm working on it :)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.