Practicing and How Often?

drivingburnt
drivingburnt
04/11/2004 11:54 pm
I'm a fairly new rookie at this and have been asking everyone what they practice and how often. The replies have been quite broad so I'm kinda looking for a general rule of thumb. I've been doing alot of scales and chords and then some easy songs but would this be good to do on a daily basis or would three or four times a week be a better target to aim for? I've had people tell me that they practice for hours each day but I don't have that kind of time to devote to my practicing and because I still am a real rookie I get frustrated because I feel like I'm not progressing like I should. Any advice would be appreciated.:D
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Got To Love Those Shredding Grannies[/FONT]
# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/12/2004 12:38 am
You should practice everyday, because if you don't practice everyday you don't develop nerves in your hands as well.

# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
04/12/2004 1:22 am
there is no set rule on how much or how long you should practice..Practice with in you confortable area...If it starts to get unconfortable then take a break...Dont worry your self if you dont get to practice one day..not everyone has all day to practice.
Another thing.....learn to READ music...its much better than tab
One more thing...Guitar takes alot of time and effort...it took me 1 year and somtihng before i was happy with what i was doing...seemed like forever before i started progressing
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
basics
basics
04/12/2004 3:31 am
You're just developing the muscles in your hands, so IMO you've got to go about it as a weight lifter would. That means letting your hand recouperate after a hefty practice and whatnot (ie a day or per usual workout schedule). For most beginners this comes naturally because, as you said, you quit when you feel you're not making progress and so it gradually progresses into some decent muscle recognition and strenth. If you want to go around this natural learning curve buy a book or take lessons then go at it as a weight lifter does but remember everything takes time. The more time spent with the guitar the better of course - you can only benifit from playing the guitar.

... Unless you're playing to frequently with terrible technique and no stretching.
# 4
joe scalene
joe scalene
04/12/2004 1:30 pm
i think when you ask of how often do you practise is not measured.. you should set a goal first. when you want to learn a particular technique focus on it so you can have a good quality playing ,then move on to another tech..

if you are crazy with guitar and the responsibility you have is your self then you can play all day long even night. if you have family and that crazy for guitar then take your free time to practice but remember the responsibility...

doesnt matter how often you practise but how you achive a goal in every practice even if time is against you. want to learn fast practist a lot more if not take your time hehehe.

im currently drunk so sorry for the wrong grammar and spelling.hehehe
# 5
dinell2
dinell2
04/12/2004 6:33 pm
Practicing the guitar sounds like a "no-brainer", but actually most people don't ever learn how to do it right! If you practice the guitar incorrectly, it will take you twice as long to improve.

Here are some general rules to follow:

1. Set aside a certain amount of guitar practice time 5-7 days a week and stick to it. The better routine you make, the more quality practice time you will get and the more fun you will have doing it.
2. Try to practice 5-7 days a week.
3. Figure out what times you are more alert and hyped for practicing.
4. Choose 2,3, or 4 things you will practice per week
5. The Metronome - You will need to make friends with this!
This is a device which makes a clicking sound at a regular speed. You can set the speed lower or higher depending on how fast you want to play. The speed is measured in beats per minute from 40 to around 200. The best kind of metronome to buy is a digital metronome($15 to $30). They are compact, easy to use, and reliable. Try to get one that clicks loudly so that you can hear it while you are playing.

Playing with the metronome can be a frustrating task. Here are some rules to follow to make it easier:
• let about 5 or 6 clicks go by before you begin playing.
• Once you get the rhythm in your head, try to put it into your subconscious.
• Keep your own internal rhythm.
1. Allow yourself some creative practice at the end of each practice. Make up new guitar strums, licks, or jam with a song etc..
2. Repetition is the key to improving - If you want to play a guitar lick better, practice it three different times of the day. At each time of day repeat it 10x’s. Record the lick every couple of days to monitor your progress.
3. You always play worse in front of people - When you think you have mastered a song or a guitar lick, practice it another day or two so that it becomes 2nd nature when you perform it.
4. Generally, don’t practice guitar with the T.V. on. You can practice certain exercises in front of the T.V.-I will get to those later.
5. Take Breaks - The mind and fingers need breaks. Don’t practice 2-3 hours at one sitting.
6. Practice an hour or so, break for a couple of hours, listen to what you’ve recorded, practice another hour etc...
7. Record yourself constantly - this is the only way to truly hear how you are doing. All that you need is a cheap little tape player.
8. Print this page and paste it on your wall or keep it for reference so that you will remember these tips.
http://groups.msn.com/GuitarPage
# 6
ggking
ggking
04/13/2004 9:40 pm
If you wanna be some great guitarist you need to devote all of your time. If you wanna be like me, just practice 4 hrs everyday. If you wanna be like my brother, you dont have to practice at all (cos' he dont know how to play). So it all depend upon your goal.
If you are not serious about it and just wanna play few songs infront of some chicks than it wont take you more than couple of months. Best of Luck...
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/14/2004 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: ggking
If you are not serious about it and just wanna play few songs infront of some chicks than it wont take you more than couple of months. Best of Luck...

I resent that! :D

# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/15/2004 3:46 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyI resent that! :D

Why, isn't impressing chicks one of the main reasons you started to play guitar? ;)
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
04/15/2004 5:58 am
Even if it's not....it's a damn good bonus!
:D

I just wish they were impressed by decent music, not just powerchord songs and "nothing else matters".

Oh well, if it works don't knock it :D

- J
# 10
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/16/2004 8:27 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWhy, isn't impressing chicks one of the main reasons you started to play guitar? ;)

But why does girls start playing guitar? Are they lesbians? Or do we guys acctually think it's hot when a girl starts shredding? Well I do, so I suppose I answered my own question.. Or not.. Never mind..
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 11
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
04/16/2004 8:33 am
You know a girl who can shred?? :eek:

Wait a minute....you know a girl??? :eek:

haha, just kidding mate!

- J
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/17/2004 3:20 am
Originally Posted by: InisfailBut why does girls start playing guitar? Are they lesbians? Or do we guys acctually think it's hot when a girl starts shredding? Well I do, so I suppose I answered my own question.. Or not.. Never mind..

1. I was joking, since holly is a girl

2. If there was a decent looking girl who could shred, that would give her definite points in my books!

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/17/2004 5:08 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggman

1. I was joking, since holly is a girl

2. If there was a decent looking girl who could shred, that would give her definite points in my books!

Personally, I prefer a chick who can play the piano...and if she can sing...my God...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 14
Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
04/17/2004 10:52 am
Haha, you should take a music course mate... you'd need a box of tissues for every class!
# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/17/2004 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeHaha, you should take a music course mate... you'd need a box of tissues for every class!

It's funny because it's true.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 16
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/19/2004 11:24 am
Originally Posted by: JamiephofeYou know a girl who can shred?? :eek:

Wait a minute....you know a girl??? :eek:

haha, just kidding mate!

- J

Seriously, I don't know a girl who can shred.. I don't even know any girl who can at least take a chord.. Why? Is guitar a guy-thing? I don't think so. As I said and someone else said, a girl who could shred or just execute a solo would be in my dreams for a long time.. Come on girls, start play guitar!
# 17
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
04/19/2004 12:10 pm
uve never seen that chinese girl then...She can basically shred on a classical guitar but with style
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 18
Inisfail
Inisfail
04/20/2004 10:32 am
Originally Posted by: ketsueki15uve never seen that chinese girl then...She can basically shred on a classical guitar but with style

I've seen her.. But, look, I'm 203 cm tall, and that girl was like a meter, perhaps (did you see how small she was compared with the guitar) and that doesn't turn me on. But the lenght is interesting in one way (if you get what I mean..hehe)
# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/20/2004 10:42 am
if you are two meters and she´s one meter.. well - what more do you need? you got your wiener on yer head or what? :D

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.