Les Paul or Epi.... the eternal Question

spanky10940
spanky10940
04/09/2004 8:41 pm
I've finally got an answer to why the Les Paul's are so much more money than the epi.....

Because they ROCK and are built to last!!!!! A close friend and the reason that I play as often as I do just bought a Les Paul Custom Plus. Absolutely AMAZING! The way it plays to the way it feels to the way it sounds....

I've seen so many posts about people asking what the difference is. I've played the epi, thinking of getting it. I'm not downing them, they're definetly good guitars and they do play well but I can now say without a doubt that I've "felt" the difference and to get it, you must pay the Gibson gods to get one....

Just wanted to share that with you, that is all...........

Have a great weekend, I'm going to weasel my way over to my buddies to play his axe! :D
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/10/2004 1:59 am
I don't know if anyone can confirm this but I just heard from the dude at my local music store that the les paul customs, classics and high end guitars are going to be outsourced soon... no longer made in factory. Anyone know anything about this?
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
04/10/2004 2:25 am
I don't think you have to worry about that one... Gibsons have always been made by hand in their own factory for like 100 years or so, so I don't think they will be changing their ways any time soon. You should go check out the tour they have in their Memphis, TN facility and it will definitely ease your mind about that...

Also let me guess... this guy was trying to push a certain guitar on you with that comment, right?
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
04/11/2004 9:35 pm
Yeah, sounds like your store assistant is an epi fan...and why not?

I am a proud owner of a Gibson Les Paul (its only a studio, but seeing that I worked my ass off to buy it, I am damn proud).
My Gibson rocks...but I have my doubts as to wether the sonic difference between my Lp and my mates Epiphone Lp really warrants the price difference.

Epiphone make some awesome axes, and if you get a nice one, there seems to be very little difference between that and the ral thing:cool:
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
04/11/2004 10:48 pm
stock the gibson plays better and sounds better, but with new pickups in the epi i take that over the steep price. For that price there are other guitars i would invest in. Plus i could get like 4 epi for 1 one gibson and maybe even more then 4. But hey if u like em and got the cash, can t argue that....go epi go!
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/12/2004 6:24 am
I think the late-70's to mid-80's Yamaha SG and SBG series were better than the Gibsons made during the same years. That's not such a well-kept secret anymore. Prices on those beauties have risen well over the $1000 mark for guitars in nice condition. The last SBG2000 I tracked on eBay went for $2300 without the case! I'm glad I already have my two SBG1000's! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
04/12/2004 8:47 pm
If you really like the Gibson body style, and don't care about what's written on the headstock, check out:

www.rondomusic.com - under electric guitars, they have a les paul copy which I'm planning on buying shortly, for $199.00:eek:

I've read a million reviews on this guitar and every single one I've read has been good. Not one bad review. So that's an option if you are strapped for cash, and don't care about name brands.

www.harmony-central.com for the reviews.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 7
spanky10940
spanky10940
04/12/2004 8:58 pm
the guy in the store is was actually pretty cool about the whole thing. My buddy was originally only looking for a Studio but when he saw the custom plus his eyes lit up.. (have to admit, so did mine)

Again, I'm not knockin the epi's at all.. I like them very much. But when I played his custom, the epi's felt like plastic with cheeze necks and sounded too tinny (btw - I checked em' out using the fender cyber twin) same settings for both axes.. and the epi was a Zakk Wyld remake with the black and white bulls on the front with gold hardware... it looked GREAT on the shelf.. felt like a tinkertoy in my hands... The custom sounded great thru that fender.. lots o bottom end, rull and rich.. must be the pickups and electronics..???

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 8
PUDDINGTANE
PUDDINGTANE
04/18/2004 8:20 pm
a 400-500 dollar epi LP or a 400-500 dollar Mex Strat... I have a Yamaha rgx 603 which is strat style, and sounds pretty good but I want a new one. So which is better?
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/18/2004 8:38 pm
A used Gibson paul. That's your best option.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.