sweep question

basics
basics
03/26/2004 5:51 pm
just a quick sweep question : I can mute the notes going up with my palm right? doesn't have to be with the thumb?

and does anybody change the direction of their pick depending on the stroke, and not just keep it a straight up and down? ie. top half of the pick pointing to the ground for the down stroke and top half pointing to the sky for the upstroke?
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
03/26/2004 7:16 pm
Yeah, you can use your palm! I don't see how you could use your thumb since it's holding the pick... or maybe I'm doing it wrong too, lol.

About angling the pick, I know what you mean, and I do that too. It just makes the pick glide over the strings more easily. I only turn my wrist like 15 degrees each way, nothing very extreme.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
basics
basics
03/26/2004 8:49 pm
right on man, just the confirmation i needed. thanks.
# 3
basics
basics
03/30/2004 6:08 pm
Ok, another one. ... I found this on a site for beginner sweep people:

|-------------------------------12-------------------------
|--------------------10----------------10-----------------
|-------------9---------------------------------9----------
|------10---------------------------------------------10--
|12---------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------

And then it says repeat. The first four being downstrokes and then the last four being upstrokes. With the repeat, I've got to assume that the low A is a downstroke but it seems so much more logical to follow through with the upstroke on it and then hit the C with a downstroke - for smoothness and speed and all. Anybody agree or is it indeed a downstroke to start over again on the A?
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
03/31/2004 12:45 am
Yeah, it's supposed to be 4 and 4. You're wanting to change it to a group of 3 then a group of 5... yuck! That would be nice with a sick rhythm, but over your standard stuff, groups of 3 (triplets) and 4 work best. 5 can just be awkward.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
basics
basics
03/31/2004 3:33 am
yea no, they're still 16s except i'm just following following through on the up sweep. seems like a waste of smoothness cutting off the up to start the down before you finish the stroke. although i'll have to try it again tomorrow. sweeping. so basic right now - can't wait til i go up one octave and down another. that'll be pro.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
03/31/2004 9:58 am
do whatever feels natural. just becaue you see a certain fingering or pickmotion indicated somewhere it does not mean that it has to be like that under all circumstances.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.