3 year anniversary

Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/24/2004 5:32 am
What's up guys? I'm currently on spring break from college and I'm spending it in beautiful, snowy Ohio ;) . This week also marks the 3 year anniversary of when I started playing what brings us all here: the guitar. Back when I started, I knew that it would take years and years of playing before I was at the level of skill I wanted to be at. Although I still feel like a beginner, much progress has been made. Returning to my acknowledgement that it would take years of practice to be great I had an idea 2 years ago when I was at the 1 year mark: make a video. I have this VHS tape that is a work in progress. Each year during this 3rd week of March I borrow my Dad's camcorder and record myself jammin out for about a half an hour. The past two years I've pretty much just played everything I knew, this year; however, I'd like it to be a little more structured. What should I do? What are some things, that easily come to mind, that I will be working on for years technique-wise? I'm a complete newb when it comes to sweep picking so I definately plan on working on that throughout this upcoming year. Does my documentation of my progress seem anal or pragmatic to you guys :D? Do any of you have a similar ritual?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 1
basics
basics
03/24/2004 11:58 am
I have no anual recording of my playing, however I do have periodic recordings that I've lost and would probably be interesting to find out how I sounded. Couple demo cds that I've made every so often with different ideas I've come up with in case I ever find myself in a worthy band. Your idea sounds like a good one, however, I don't think, for me personally, it would be of much benifit besides sentimental.
# 2
Death55
Death55
03/24/2004 10:33 pm
I always like looking back to see what i was like when i started. Its always nice to see how much you've improved. I watched a video not long ago before i actually had a guitar. I was playing on my friends guitar and i can easily say that i was really crap. I couldnt even play a few simple power chords or just individual notes without hitting lots of other strings :rolleyes:
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/25/2004 3:18 am
I'd like to think that being a guitar player calls for a celebration every day. I couldn't imagine living through life without playing some sort of instrument.

# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/27/2004 12:34 am
Well, my 3rd installment of the tape is finished. Wow, it's really cool to be able to see yourself progress throughout the years. I wonder how good I'll be by, say, year 8. I wonder when I'll stop noticing improvements from year to year.

Basics: I agree with you about the whole sentimental value thing. I just watched the year 1 tape from when I was 20. I laughed at my horribly long hair, hahahaha. What was I thinking. Drugs are a terrible thing.:cool: :D ;)
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.