View post (Gah, can't get it..)

View thread

Jamiephofe
Jamiephofe
03/22/2004 3:13 am
Petrucci's sweeps on Rock Dicipline arn't really the best starting point for someone who hasn't got a good grasp of sweep picking already.

Also, rolling your finger over 2 strings is alot harder than just playing each string with a seperate finger.

I dont know how people post tab on here...so i'll just make it up.

I'd start with:

E |------------------13----h17---p13---------------------|
B |---------15--------------------------------15-----------|
G |--14------------------------------------------------14--|
1 2 1 4 1 2 1

The fingering is in order, but not under the notes, cos I've messed that up somehow :P

Upstrokes when going up and downstrokes when going down. I'd play it with the above fingering, but I know alot of people play the 3 string one there 2,3,1,4,1,3,2.

Then add 1 more string.

E |---------------------13--h17--p13---------------------|
B |--------------15-------------------------15-------------|
G |-------14---------------------------------------14------|
D |--15-------------------------------------------------15-|
2 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 2

Then just add the 17th fret on the A string with the 4th finger... nice minor arpeggio shape there.

I know this probably isnt much help as it's exactly what you've seen before, but i'd stick to practicing this shape and the major shape, building them up until you get to 5 or 6 strings. I palm mute when im sweeping, but I know quite a few guys would mute with their fingers, just use whatever is best. Also make sure your hands are "lazy" when your playing, don't tense your fingers. Bend the pick the way your sweeping too, don't keep it straight like in alternate picking, just half hold it in your fingers so it can glide along. Well..... that's what I do anyway. :)

I'd stay clear of rock discipline until you've got the basic shapes down :)

Just stay on light distortion... not loads of gain and keep at it!
You could use a clean sound, but then it'd be harder to hear if your muting properly.

Hope something out of that helped!

I'd post a sound file to go with it... but I dunno how to.

- J