Harry Potter?

sambob
sambob
03/20/2004 6:57 pm
I just saw Harry Potter mentioned in another thread (is jimmy page satanic..).

I was skeptical at first, as I've always been a fan of more 'serious' fantasy novels, but after I gave it a chance (girlfriend bought the series for me on cd), I found that I really enjoyed it. Especially the later books in the series.

Anyone with me on this??
# 1
TheWizard
TheWizard
03/20/2004 8:37 pm
I'm a big fan of the series, Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite

I just read a thing in the paper that listed all of the books that are banned from school cirriculums, Harry Potter was one of them for "advocating the occult and witchcraft, and anti-christian values"... such bull**** (other books included "The Lion, The witch and the Wardrobe" for the same reasons also bull****)

damn soccer moms and bible idiots ruin everything
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 2
sambob
sambob
03/20/2004 8:51 pm
Oh well, if something is advocating anti-christian values, it probably should be encouraged, not banned.
# 3
alucard0941
alucard0941
03/20/2004 9:13 pm
Originally posted by TheWizard

LMAO!!!! I guess im not the only one who thinks like that.
But really though, its not like harry potter is gonna summon the devil or somting.

It's a f*cking free country, just deal with it
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2004 10:18 pm
My 2c

I think the HP series are excellent (with the possible exception of the last book). The characters are a little stereo-typical however for most of the books the plots are reasonably well constructed and are reasonably exciting.

The audio books narrated by Jim Dale are also a favorite in out house and, to quote the god Dr Jones Sr. any thing that gets up the nose of "Goose-stepping morons who should try reading books instead of burning them" is a good thing.

And, if it encourages young people to read rather than just lamely accepting everything they see on the TV, well what a fine thing !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
sambob
sambob
03/20/2004 11:06 pm
What wasn't you didn't like about the latest book?

I thought compared to the first, third, and fourth it wasn't as well put together, possibly rushed is the word I'm looking for (despite its considerable length). BUT, I still thought it was more enjoyable than say.. the 2nd book.
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/20/2004 11:45 pm
The Lack of checks and balences at both the ministry of magic and at hogwarts that gave Deloris Umbridge so much power and the way everyone just let it happen despite the fact that sending everyone home was a quite viable alternative (Closing Hogwarts, a play that would have made the ministry of magic very unpopular) to letting her run the place. A bit like putting a vampire in charge of a blood bank !

As a character she was quite unnecessarily cruel which didn't really do anything for anyone.

Harry has obviously entered puberty, want an amazingly egocentric jerk ! Ok so he has a lot of **** to deal with however, maybe I am showing my age, if he were my ward he would have been treated very differently.

Dumbledor behaved like a schoolboy, very irritating ! To my mind this was only necessary as a device to elongate the already overly drawn out plot.

This was a big disappointment after books 3 and 4 witch were brilliant !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
03/21/2004 5:27 pm
I hate Doloris umbridge so much
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 8
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/21/2004 10:58 pm
I think the movies really ruined the books. It just cut off the point to reading the books... to use ones imagination. Damned corporate world just had to make some more money, selling out a pretty good series (a little overated). I've enjoyed all four of the books... its easy, light hearted reading. Thats the way I look at the books, that way I won't be too critical of them. I want to kick Umbridge in the face... she was sooo irritating. I also agree with Harry Potter being egocentric.

# 9
sambob
sambob
03/22/2004 4:13 am
I disagree about the movies. But this is probably just because of the particulars of my imagination. Somehow or other, what I imagined was almost exactly what I saw in the movies.

Although I think the actress that plays uh.. Hermione I think it was, just plain looks too good. She's not exactly drop dead gorgeous (and its hard for me to judge, given her age). But, she's a cute little girl... while as in the books I never thought she was supposed to be like that.
# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/24/2004 2:18 am
Pedophile... j/p. She is pretty cute, but she has plenty of time to get ugly with puberty and everything... or maybe if I kick her in the face.
The movies were nothing like what I imagined. Especially hogwarts. The only thing the movie thing helped me out with was understanding quidduitch (or however you spell it).

# 11
sambob
sambob
03/24/2004 5:24 am
Could I ask how you pictured it then?
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/24/2004 5:39 am
Originally posted by sambob
Although I think the actress that plays uh.. Hermione I think it was, just plain looks too good. She's not exactly drop dead gorgeous (and its hard for me to judge, given her age). But, she's a cute little girl... while as in the books I never thought she was supposed to be like that.

Yea, she makes my "Can't wait until she turns 18" list. hmm I'll put her right under the Olsen twins :D. One thing the movies clued me on to was how to pronounce "Hermione". I was sayin' it all wrong lol
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/27/2005 9:16 pm
I love Harry Potter as it is something I can share with my 3 year old son. The 6th book caught me off guard and the fourth movie looks great from the previews. My son is also dressing as Harry for Halloween this year. Great fun for the whole family. It's just sad to think that there is only one more chapter in this tale.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
10/28/2005 1:39 am
Originally Posted by: TheWizardI'm a big fan of the series, Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite

I just read a thing in the paper that listed all of the books that are banned from school cirriculums, Harry Potter was one of them for "advocating the occult and witchcraft, and anti-christian values"... such bull**** (other books included "The Lion, The witch and the Wardrobe" for the same reasons also bull****)

Retards. The "The lion, the witch and the wardrobe" I believe was written by a christian. These idiots give all christians a bad name.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 15
Danny C.
Danny C.
10/28/2005 3:07 am
I have read a couple of the books, they were entertaining, and as holly said just light hearted reading, Harry Potter isnt banned at my school, everyone reads them. Personally I do think people seem to look deeper into it than it really is...(i would say bible idiots might be a little harsh, ) but in a way I can see both sides of the situation, being a christian I am told that they are not that good to read but I just see it as an enjoyable story nonetheless

I saw on Saturday Night Live where Lindsay Lohan played Hermione when they did a parody of that and it was hilarious...
The greatest enemy to what you can know, is what you already know.

It's not how good you play, its how well you play it.
# 16
astainback
astainback
10/28/2005 5:55 am
I too, am a Harry Potter fan.

Unfortunately, I saw the 1st and 2nd movie before reading any of them, and well, I was disappointed by the 3rd movie (3rd book is awesome). I wish Christopher Columbus directed the 3rd. The set changes and clothes changes were dumb in my opinion. I am really looking forward to the 4th movie though. haha

I would have to say that I am a moderate HP movie fan.. and a big HP book fan.

adrian
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.