Iced Earth

Autark
Autark
03/19/2004 7:45 pm
How the hell does John Shaffer get a tone lik that??? Can you get a tone like that with Metalzone?
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
03/19/2004 10:25 pm
I have seen an abundance of posts like these lately, so I believe someone needs to step up to the plate and say this:

THERE ARE NO KNOB SETTINGS ON SOME PEDAL TO GET A MAGICAL SUPER-TONE!!! TONE IS A COMBINATION OF EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR EQUIPMENT AND PLAYING. EVEN IF YOU HAD THE EXACT SAME RIG AS SOME FAMOUS GUY, YOU STILL WOULDN'T SOUND THE SAME AS HIM.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2004 10:31 pm
easy there tiger... keep your 'air on !

Incidentally TheDirt is right !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
03/20/2004 4:25 am
Never mind what either TheDirt or Doc Simon said.... here's how to do it, using the Boss Metal Zone:

[list=1]
  • Turn on your amp (let 'er warm up!)

• Get out a CD player, pop in the Iced Earth CD

• Put on some headphones (you'll need them for later)

• Your settings for the MT-2 will be Level - 7 o'clock, Low - 10 o'clock, High - 2 o'clock, Mid - 12 o'clock

• Slap on the 'phones and crank the CD volume

• Start strumming... now you've done it!

• Sit back with a contented look on your face

• [/list=1]

Sorry, I haven't had much sleep lately...
    ... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
    # 4
    TheDirt
    TheDirt
    03/20/2004 7:45 pm
    I apologize if my reply came off as rude. The caps was not to be interpreted as yelling, but rather an important point. No offense meant. In reply to eggman's post, if you and I both use a Metal Zone pedal with those settings, it will still sound different due to us having different guitars, different amps, and different hands (and different picks and picking styles and vibrato and so forth).
    "You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
    # 5
    Autark
    Autark
    03/20/2004 9:26 pm
    Piont taken. I am aware that I will never get the SAME sound as he does, and I am not looking to get... I am only interested in what equipment does he use... I am planning to buy MT-2, so I was wondering could I get the similar tone...
    # 6
    iamthe_eggman
    Grizzled Spellchecker
    iamthe_eggman
    Grizzled Spellchecker
    03/21/2004 4:04 am
    Originally posted by TheDirt
    I apologize if my reply came off as rude. The caps was not to be interpreted as yelling, but rather an important point. No offense meant. In reply to eggman's post, if you and I both use a Metal Zone pedal with those settings, it will still sound different due to us having different guitars, different amps, and different hands (and different picks and picking styles and vibrato and so forth).

OK, before you go out and buy an MT-2 and become extremely disappointed, the instructions I gave you will end up having you listening to the CD at full blast while the MT-2 level is at 0.

Again, I apologize, but sleep deprivation had a major role in my posts last night.
    ... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
    # 7
    Marauder
    Marauder
    03/27/2004 10:15 pm
    you can get some kick ass tone out of the MT-2. Don't worry too much about sounding like some other dude just try to develop a sound that goes well with the feel of your playing.
    # 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.