solo question

Marauder
Marauder
03/15/2004 5:02 pm
O.K. I think the best way for me to solidify my usage of modes is by some examples....so maybe you guys can help me out.

Let's say I have a power chord progression that is:
E5, D5, E5, D5, C5, B5, A5 B5, then repeat......(each power chord lasts one whole measure)

WHat scales/modes could I use? Aeolian works well obviously because the power chords are basically just a root-note descent in that scale. I have noticed that harmonic minor works well in some places and not so well over other chords....why? Is it that it will work over the power chords that are common to both Aeolian and Harmonic minor but when a power chord comes up that doesn't have a root note in that mode it won't work?

Can someone please explain this in their own words for me so that I understand it better?

And also, what other modes would sound good and why?

P.S. I can't afford guitar lessons right now because of school and a HUGE vet payment so this is a trmendous help for me....thank you.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
03/15/2004 7:53 pm
E5 = E, B
D5 = D, A
A5 = A, E
B5 = B, F#

Put all of these together starting with E since the progression starts with E and you get E, F#, A, B, D. You can fill in the blanks with whatever you want for the G and C (use either natural, sharp, or flat depending on your ears). I find that I tend to use E Aeolian over the entire progression, though over the B5, you could use E Harmonic Minor because the B5 could be viewed as a dominant chord going to the E and you can use the major 3rd of B (D#) which would make E Harmonic Minor. All that make sense?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2004 1:47 am
Use your ears! They're free! While reading your post, I found out that you seemed to find out what worked and what didn't by experience. Keep at it, and you'll have billions of combinations to solo with! You may even come up with this wacky scales that give you great melodic lines. But TheDirt gave solid advice, and that should work for ya.

Other modes? hm........ You can try lots of things....... Melodic minor........ some of those exotic scales that the falcon has.....

use your ears.... use your ears......
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3
basics
basics
03/17/2004 3:38 am
Yea I've found that I post a question and then solve it while waiting for a response. The question for every answer is time and practice. Just keep working on it really and it'll come. You take a shortcut to something and it'll hurt in the longrun.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.