View post (Rythm and You - Knowing what you're doing)

View thread

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/19/2004 6:19 am
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
Ahh. Ok you have me completely lost now. I don't see where your saying clapping in 9/8 is going to be at any different speed then clapping in 3/4??? Whether I go 1, 2, 3, 1, ... or to 9. I clap each number at the same speed. Trust me, T.S. does not determine speed. That's what tempo is for. The tempo tells you how fast to slap 1, 2,3 ... not the T.S.

* I clearly stated in my post previous to your reply "although the tempo would remain consistent, 3/4 would have a faster beat"

Here's the difference in 9/8 and 3/4. Clap the numbers at the same speed.

3/4 : ONE TWO THREE
9/8 : ONE two three FOUR five six SEVEN eight nine.

*your not clapping the numbers at the exact speed, becuase in 9/8 your not clapping on beats 2,3,5,6,8&9. In 9/8 your clapping out a dotted quarter note, which would be the equivilent of clapping out a dotted half note rhythm in 3/4. The pulse is completely different.
Do a fast 3/4 and clap on every beat, now do a fast 3/4 and just clap on 1...that's the difference I'm talking about. In Manic Depression the pulse falls on each one of the notes of the 9 note guitar riff, which would represent a fast 3/4 vrs. a 9/8 where the pulse would fall on every 3rd note of the guitar riff.
The only way to argue that it would be in 9/8 would be to say that every note of the guitar riff is a doted 1/4, which would represent an extremely fast pulsed 9/8, too fast to even feel the triplet subdivision.

As for the triplet, they are not triplets. If your thinking the polyrhythm 3:2. A compound T.S. is not 2 beats divided in 3 per say. You could argue your way to prove it so, but it's a bad way of looking at it. 3/8 sounds alot like 3/4 although when you count two and three there is no pulse in the music. Like manic depression, the only clear pulse is on ONE. WHich is why it's 3/8, or if look at it as all three Da-da-da's as being in one measure, it's 9/8. Although after having the discussion I would recount 9/8 and correct that to be 3/8 instead.

*okay, if I remember correctly the 1st 3 notes of the riff were just an A major triad. I'm saying A C# and E are each represented by a quarter note and each recieve a pulse. And, I believe you are saying A C# and E are each represented by an 8th note and only the note A recieves a pulse. Correct?