lead tone and reverb

Marauder
Marauder
03/08/2004 6:24 pm
Ok. I want to get that cool lead tone that guitarists such as John Petrucci, Van Halen, Slash, Vai, Satriani and the like get. I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with reverb. The amp head I am currently using has NO built-in reverb and it is pissing me off. When I play through my rhythm guitarist's 5150 my leads sounds amazing...but he also uses a BOSS digital FX board. The sound that I want is pretty simple...not a lot of congested and superflous FX....can this be done just as well with a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone (which I am using right now) and a BOSS RV-5 Digital Reverb (which I am thinking of buying)???¿¿¿

If so, can anyone recommend any cool settings for either/both pedals for leads?
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/09/2004 2:49 am
Well, I doubt EVH used much reverb, mainly alot of gain which would give you alot of sustain.

Reverb and distortion(high gain) generally don't groove well, from my experiences. Smooth overdrive and reverb CAN work together. Usually I keep the reverb on my amp at 3 or 4 for anything with gain, and for certain tunes, and clean only, I'll crank 'er up. But I also have Fender Tube/Plate Reverb.

I would go with a Reverb OR Delay pedal.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.