Major and minor. No, not that dropped third kind.

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/04/2004 3:34 am
I hate decisions like this. I gotta decide for next term a major and minor so I can get enough credits down to study abroad asap. I'm kinda stuck between music and computer sciences for a major. Music would be way more fun, but its applications are limited. Computer sciences would be a practical option with all kinds of career opportunities, but I would be a bit bored and my main reason for choosing it would be process of elimination.

What do you all think? Flip a coin?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/04/2004 4:27 am
My suggestion is to major in what you think your going to be doing as a career for the rest of your life. I wouldn't major in music unless you know your going make a living involved in music. Like a teacher or something. Computer science is good because everything in the future is going to be computer related (actually pretty much already is). Major there will quarantee you a good career. So if your doing music for your own personal achievement and knowledge, I'd minor in it and major in computers. Unless you feel like your going to have a good career in music, and I don't mean be a rockstar.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2004 2:10 pm
Sage advice from noticingthemistake ! You can always pursue music part time / after work and it is a lot easier if you can afford to eat and get nice kit. if the music takes off well you can always bin your day job.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
03/04/2004 4:28 pm
Hey man, it would seem we have alot in common. I'm about to get my bachelors in computer science, this June in fact. Music is a huge part of my life though, and I hated the feeling that I was giving up something in order to be a professional computer geek. But I'm glad I stuck out the whole computer thing these long 5 years because it would seem it's about to payoff. Despite Bush wrecking the general economy, computer science jobs are still relatively available and for that I'm grateful. All in all, I look at my CS degree as plan B, and hopefully I'll find some way to go back to study music in depth. Hopefully at Berklee or GIT :cool:
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/04/2004 6:39 pm
Originally posted by Dr_simon
You can always pursue music part time / after work

The music business is very competitive (in every aspect), and is really a 24/7 type of job. Those who pursue it part time never really get anywhere. You need to practice/study 2hrs a day just to maintain your chops, more if you want to continue to grow and advance yourself musically.

If you do decide to major in music you have to be very open minded and have a true "passion" for "all" styles of music. You must also be willing to teach, since that is something almost every musician will do at sometime or another to supplement his/her income.
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/04/2004 7:20 pm
I would love teaching guitar, but I would feel bad charging what the going rate is these days. Guitar lessons can be way too expensive.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2004 8:27 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
The music business is very competitive (in every aspect), and is really a 24/7 type of job. Those who pursue it part time never really get anywhere. You need to practice/study 2hrs a day just to maintain your chops, more if you want to continue to grow and advance yourself musically.

If you do decide to major in music you have to be very open minded and have a true "passion" for "all" styles of music. You must also be willing to teach, since that is something almost every musician will do at sometime or another to supplement his/her income.

I know several bands that have been signed which built up there following whilst working full time. Practice three times a week and gig at the weekends.
# 7
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/04/2004 9:35 pm
And I know a lot of people who turned down some great oppurtunities becuase they didn't want to risk losing the quality of life there dayjobs offered them. It's hard to walk away from an employer who's paying for your health benefits and matching your social security tax, no matter how much you hate the job.

Just one circumstance...this sax player I use to do occasional private party gigs with got offered to go on tour w/the Roots, he turned it down becuase he wouldn't be able to maintain his lifestyle he had grown accustomed too (new car payments, condo, etc, etc).

Sure, you can always work full time and be a "week end warrior" musician for fun...and if that's all you want to do is play in a rock band that's probably the way to go. But to be a serious player and do lots of "hired gun" gigs, studio work, tours, theater work, etc., you really have to pursue it full time.
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/04/2004 11:46 pm
heh..It is a pickle no matter what advice you get. You just have to ask yorself some important questions about what you want to do. I'd take some time to think about it and not jump to a decision til you consider everything. Remember this is the rest of your life man.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2004 12:24 am
My point is you can do it if you want to.

China Drum ended up signed to Beggars Banquet and they started off as "weekend warriors" as you so eloquently put it, complete with day jobs. Day jobs got binned when they got a proper (three album) deal however that docent detract from the balls out hard gaft that was put in on top of day jobs when they were starting off.

You can do it if you want to !

Either way part time of full time you still have to do the graft if you want any credibility and invariably that involves sleeping in the back of a transit van on top of a PA system next to a bunch of drunken farting trolls

...ah happy memories !
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.