View post (Reflections)

View thread

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/03/2004 1:50 am
Originally posted by TheDirt
Just one question for those of you who don't believe in a God, or at least something supernatural...

Where did all the matter in the universe come from if it was not created by a God? The God itself did not need to be created by something higher due to its nature, but rocks and gases and stuff can't have just appeared out of nowhere (at least I don't see how they could have). The big bang theory is all well and good except for one thing - it doesn't explain where all the matter in the universe first came from.

It's just as easy for me to believe that matter and energy have always existed and never had a beginning as it is for me to believe that god has been around forever and never had a beginning.

Rocks and gases and stuff didn't just appear out of one thing. I think they've always existed. I don't think there was any 'beginning of time' thing for matter and energy the way christians don't believe there was a beginning of time and existance thing for god. You say god did not need to be created by something due to its nature, I'm wondering what it is about matter that is any different that forces it to have come from somewhere.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.