Picking Styles

basics
basics
02/28/2004 9:10 pm
I read talk of alternate and economy picking way down in the famous bands section and was just wondering: I know what alternate picking is, but have never heard of economy picking. You still picking every note with economy picking and if so what's the difference between the two? I'm sure this is the maybe... the 27th time this has come up in this forum.
# 1
basics
basics
02/28/2004 9:12 pm
testing
# 2
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/28/2004 9:29 pm
If you ever think something has come up in the forum before you should try out the search function before asking the question. However, I guess I'll still answer...

Economy picking is mixing sweep picking with alternate picking. If you pick down, and the next note is on the next string down, you follow through and sweep the next note. Vice versa for the upstroke. Perhaps this will clarify it. Above the tab is the economy picking pattern. Below is the alternate pattern for comparison purposes.

Ec: down down down up down up up down up up down
e|-------------12---14---15---14--------------------------
B|--------12-----------------------15---13---12-----------
G|---12-------------------------------------------14---12-
Alt: down up down up down up down up down up down

(I don't know if the above pattern sounds good or not, I'm just using it for illustration --- I don't even have a guitar around to try it out)

See which way you find easier. Basically, you follow through with the pick when you can. It's less motion (more economical, hence the name), however, there is more thought involved and I find it harder to use economy picking when improvising. Alternate picking, there is no thought, you can focus on the left hand. If mastered, though, economy picking would be faster than alternate, I think (though it's much harder to master). Hope this helps.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 3
basics
basics
02/29/2004 3:37 am
Sorry man, I had no clue there's a search on this site, I'll look for it later and I think I do a variation of that economy picking while working in the pent box. But right now I've got a bigger problem. I've got double jointed thumbs. I didn't realize the implications of this until I've been hitting the alternate picking style hardcore ala malmsteen. My thumb is flat (not curved like some) and I can do odd things with the joint closest to the hand. Actually, I don't know if this is a problem or not except my index finger hurts.

Before you read further I'm going to take a picture of my picking hand early next week - lot of words coming up.

Ok here it is: I can't get my thumb and my index finger to touch where the pads are (finger print tabs).. well I can but not without discomfort in my thumb. Sooooooo I've got to put my pick on the left hand side of my index finger and hold it in place with my thumb, instead of a neutral grip inbetween both (which, i assume, is the normal practice). This has never been a problem before trying to pull some decent speed alternate picking (which I can do reasonably through comparison with others) except i'm pushing my index finger way over towards my pinky by the pressure I'm putting on it with my thumb. This really sucks ass because it's going to result in injury if I don't alter it somehow, I know.

This is my exactly picking position: put the 2nd joint of your index finger (the joint in the middle) at a 90 degree angle. Bring it forward a bit (ie closer to the palm of your hand) while maintaining the 90 degree angle and touch your thumb to the side of it, beside the finger nail and perpendicular to the index finger (lol). Now use your thumb to push your index finger until it's pointing towards the wrist except the side opposite of your thumb and that's basically how I've been holding a pick to do alternate picking. How messed is that? And it aches man. I hate having to change my goddamn technique around after I get things flowing, it takes so goddamn long. And how you pick is no freakn low key matter either.

Anyway, I'm not at home right now, I'll post a webcam pic exactly how it is when I get back.
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/29/2004 5:20 am
The Search function is located on the right hand side of every forum page near the top under the banner. You'll see a cluster of icons... Profile, Register, Members, FAQ, Search, and Home. Found it?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
basics
basics
02/29/2004 9:12 pm
Yeah man, thanks.
# 6
Digit
Digit
02/29/2004 9:32 pm
If you ever want to hear a master at economy picking check out Tommy Tedesco sometime.
You've probably never heard of him but if you've ever watched any tv shows from the 80's, you're pretty much guaranteed he did the guitar on the theme songs. ie, Happy Days, MASH, Colombo, Charlies Angels, Three's Company... and movies like Godfather, Poisidon Adventure...
If you ever come across a show called Fernwood Tonight, he's the fat guy sitting perfectly still with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Meantime he's playing these incredibly fast runs that just blow you away.
# 7
basics
basics
03/02/2004 5:10 am
Sweet man. You know, I kind of resolved that issue with myself today while practicing. I was thinking I was bending the **** out of my index finger while in reality I was only feeling some minor aches from over working some muscles I don't ordinarily work. You learn to relax that which aches and work around it until it becomes second nature to play the way it doesn't hurt and that's the proper way. I'm going to look closely at those definitions tomorrow but I've got a feeling I already partly do something of the like. All these definitions, good to know though, so I know what you guys are talking about.
# 8
Autark
Autark
03/06/2004 9:14 am
Hey! You can check out my new trick called "Mechanix for the right hand"! It will really improve your alternate picking!:)
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.