View post (Blues)

View thread

basics
basics
02/29/2004 9:31 pm
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
If your "roots" involve not using your pinky to fret notes, then your roots lie in a very sloppy, undeveloped technique with a drastically limited reach. Blues involves scales as well...to be honest, I have NO idea WHAT you're talking about here...whatsoever.

You're right, my roots do lie in a sloppy, undeveloped (? ..) technique. But not so much with a drastically limited reach. Everybody's under the impression that there's one perfect way of playing and are all following the same path as those (2 or 3) guitar greats out there. There is no perfect way of playing pal, and I started playing with my pinky finger not because Malmsteen or Gilbert uses it, but because it just naturally occured that way after a bit. I could name off quite a few players who don't use their pinky or hold their guitar up like a classical guitar and who are amazing. I play that way now though because I've realized the potential.

I'd comment about the scales remark too but I'm sure you knew what I meant. ... OK I meant scales other than the pent. box. The root of all rock.