Theory articles?

Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
03/05/2004 2:20 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
actually.. ther are bands with that name.. just found it on google.
sooo funny - i´m laughing my ass off - not.

LOL - sarcasm noted.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 1
beginner
beginner
03/05/2004 5:15 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
You should be able to obtain this information through several guitar related books. About why chords are named such, they are named on the harmony build on the root note. The root note is always the letter, in this case D. When just a number (no maj or min) follows the letter, it refers to a dominant chord. In this case, a D dominant 13th chord. Now knowing the formula for a dominant 13th chord, 1, 3, 5, b7, 9, 11, 13. The formula comes from building from the root note as I said in the beginning. So the chord contains the root note (1) D, then the 3rd (F#), then the 5th (A), and so on. You end up with the notes D, F#, A, C, E, G, B. A D dominant 13th chord. Now when you see more after that, such as the "b5b9". You take the formula as before and you alter it as it says, so then it becomes 1, 3, "b5", b7, "b9", 11, 13. The chord becomes D, F#, Ab, C, Eb, G, B. Make sense. If not, this is explained thoroughly in any book I listed or Az's book on harmony. It's good to know not just how to play a C7 chord on the guitar, but also how it is constructed. Which is what I explained alittle about above.

Yes Azreal, you´re right, I´d better learn this in German.
I can´t even begin to understand this because when Noticing begins to explain with the root note D I can´t follow, because the D13b5b9 chord I play doesn´t even have a D in it, so...

The chord just has the notes: G#, D#, C , F# , B
# 2
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2004 8:29 pm
ok heres what i got (for the D13b5b9)-
D, F#, Ab, C, Eb, G, B
(notice how this is the same thing noticingthemistake got)

ok your notes were -

G#, D#, C, F#, B

a "G#" (or Ab) is a dim. 5 (this is where the b5 symbol takes effect)

so now you know where the b5 is -

a "D#" (or Eb) is the b9

so now you just have to tackle the "13" -

C is your dominant/flat 7th, because you need it in the formula for a dominant 13 or D13

F# is the major 3rd, which you need for any major chord

B is your major 13th, which is where the chord is extended to from the symbol

In your chord the 11th is out, this is not a big deal, because their are so many variations on chord forms that you only need the important ones.

The only problem is you have no root note. You have 5 notes, so it means your using 5 strings, see if on the string your not using you have a D near by. Another mystery is solved. Sorry I don't speak German, maybe I should switch out of Spanish when I get to high school :D .
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 3
beginner
beginner
06/29/2004 8:27 am
Now 4 months later, after I started to study a theory book, I finally understand this post. And yeah there´s actually a D nearby. It´s the open string that I have to mute, but I think in this case I could let ring it through, couldn´t I?
# 4
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2004 6:01 pm
It depends what you are using the chord in. You may need a strong root, and that could do it for you. But in jazz (as I often play) you wouldn't need to, because the root is covered by piano and bass, the root in fact, is the second least important note of a jazz chord.

Keep working at it.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.