View post (Theory articles?)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
03/04/2004 6:22 pm
Originally posted by beginner
I just wanna have all the theory explained that is necessary, not more.

I wanna know more about scales, chords,...
why they are named for instance D13b5b9,...

You should be able to obtain this information through several guitar related books. About why chords are named such, they are named on the harmony build on the root note. The root note is always the letter, in this case D. When just a number (no maj or min) follows the letter, it refers to a dominant chord. In this case, a D dominant 13th chord. Now knowing the formula for a dominant 13th chord, 1, 3, 5, b7, 9, 11, 13. The formula comes from building from the root note as I said in the beginning. So the chord contains the root note (1) D, then the 3rd (F#), then the 5th (A), and so on. You end up with the notes D, F#, A, C, E, G, B. A D dominant 13th chord. Now when you see more after that, such as the "b5b9". You take the formula as before and you alter it as it says, so then it becomes 1, 3, "b5", b7, "b9", 11, 13. The chord becomes D, F#, Ab, C, Eb, G, B. Make sense. If not, this is explained thoroughly in any book I listed or Az's book on harmony. It's good to know not just how to play a C7 chord on the guitar, but also how it is constructed. Which is what I explained alittle about above.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.