Rythmic Soloing?

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/13/2004 12:32 am
Duno if thats the term for the question Im asking but here goes anyway!
Slash done this really cool solo which was a kida countryish style. If had laodsa chords and strumming in it! It was kinda of the style and tempo of the solo in 'take it easy' by the eagles! Except it included cool intricate chords and slides high up on the guitar!

Am I describing the term I heard a while back called Rythmic soloing? What songs or artists are good at this? Ive love to play like that! It had a Dueling banjos feel to it if you no wot i mean!
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/13/2004 7:28 am
I think SRV was a master of rhythmic soloing. His solos aren't so much about what notes he played, but the feel (and rhythm) behind them. Sometimes he'd play the same two to three notes 18 times and it would sound awesome. Study some of his stuff, such as using a repeating 3 note pattern to fit over an 8th note groove. Try this below for example. Fitting a pattern with an odd number of notes in over an even groove is awesome rhythmically.

Rhythm:

e|-------12-12------12-12-------12-------12-12-| ...
B|-15B17-------15B7-------15B17----15B17-------| ...

*Accent the first, and fifth notes of the patterns
(the 1st 15, the 3rd 12, the 4th 15th, the 8th 12, etc....)

Also, try checking out using chord fragments in solos. A good example of this is probably the intro to Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter". I know it's not the solo in the song, but you should be able to glean some ideas from it.

Finally, Hendrix's (and SRV's version of) "Little Wing" contain great rhythmic soloing. Hope this helps.

[Edited by TheDirt on 02-13-2004 at 01:30 AM]
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/13/2004 11:53 am
Ah! Ok now I no what rythmic soloing is... but thats not want I wana learn! I just mean solos that include lots of chords played high on the guitar, double stops I suppose, but with a country feel to it.
My knownledge of genres and styles is lame so dont laugh!

# 3
jleraan
jleraan
02/13/2004 2:07 pm
What was actually your question? Which artists who play that way?

Well, I know Kirk Hammet of Metallica do a lot of double stops, etc. I think I know what you mean. Also, Janick Gers in Iron Maiden tends to throw off a rhythmic approach every now and then. Listen to the solo in the song The Apparition for proves, I'm quite sure that's what you mean. In addition, he uses the wah wah effect on that solo, making it even better!

You're a Slash fan. Well, if I don't remember wrong, there are parts of the Sweet Child of Mine solo which got the type of playing you're reffering to, not?

And another thing I've discovered lately. Check out the main guitar riff in Rage Against the Machine's Sleep Now In The Fire. The rhythm is extremely groove. I can't imagine I'll ever get tired of it. Hope I find more Rage... songs like that. Allright, so that riff is not exactly a solo, but it's great anyhow!
# 4
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/13/2004 2:12 pm
The only thing I can come up with is checking out some Jazz piano solo's and transpose them to guitar. They play chords all the time in their solos and it is definitely rhythmic. Although it's not guitar, a look and listen will definitely give you ideas.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 5
TheDirt
TheDirt
02/13/2004 9:04 pm
Check out "The Hellecasters". Their solos are country with plenty of chord stabs and double stops, etc.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 6
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/16/2004 6:00 am
check out Alvin Lee....or is it Albert Lee, I always get the 2 of them mixed up.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.