View post (Multi-effects)

View thread

Sully
Sully
09/24/2000 12:30 am
I have had just about every multieffect unit out there. Every time I sell them within 6 months. Finally, about a year ago or so, I picked up the Boss GT-3 and have been extremely happy with it. One thing that I have learned is that most of them are also preamp units, which means that they have a personality of their own, not just effects. Well.....an amplifier has a preamp and thus has a personality of it's own. When using the multi effect through the amp you can lose the sound of the amp that you liked to begin with. With the GT-3 I plug into the power amp returnn on the back of my Peavey BAndit so its not getting any coloring from the amp itself. The GT-3 also has amp modeling and sounds great this way. If you are using the amp, I would suggest just using individual effects and either inserting them between the guitar and amp, or the effects loop, whichever sounds better. You would want to put distortions, wahs between guitar and amp. You would want to put delays, choruses, flanges etc. in the effects loop. Don't be afraid to try odd setups, you never know where your trademark sound will come from