View post (band)

View thread

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
02/07/2004 11:45 pm
Great thread, MadGuitarest. This is not an uncommon scenario. In fact, I'm in this exact predicament. Situations like this are touchy and they can eventually cause bands to break up. Since my band's inception (8 friggin' years ago), I've written the majority (90%) of our tunes (and lyrics), I'm the main singer, and I'm a soloist extraordinaire. Without 'tooting my own horn', I feel like I carry this band. They wouldn't be much without me. I wish there was a magical solution to your question, but there really isn't. We often quarrel about these very same issues. The band gangs up on me and says, 'We want a separate vocalist, we want less guitar wanking, we want more creative control with the music, etc, etc'. In my own defense, I don't proclaim to be the best singer...but neither was Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan, and they still went places and became very successful. On the other hand, I'm not saying I suck either. I definitely can hold a tune. Of course, like most people who frequent this forum, I'm a guitarist at heart and always will be. It's my forte. I love the huge jam type of songs with massive soloing. I'm not interested at all in becoming another Creed or Nickelback type of band. I am proud to play something different (music like Hendrix, SRV, and Santana) in an era where bands like Sum 41 and Good Charlette are dominating the air waves. And when I give the other band mates the option of creating the riffs (because they want so-called 'creative control'), we end up writing nothing. People are often fast to criticize, but when the tables are turned, they have no input to offer.

Bottom line is: If you want to create a band where you'll be the main writer, lyricist, singer, soloist, or whatever, then your best bet is to name the project after you. In retrospect, if I had named my band after myself (since I was the one who created it in the first place way back), then I currently probably wouldn't be having these internal struggles within my band. By naming your band after you (ie. like Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Buckethead, Hendrix, SRV, and countless others), it allows other potential band members to know what they're getting themselves into right off the bat. In other words, there's no surprises later on. I'm currently in the process of putting together a band named after myself for these very reasons...so that I can perform what I want to perform, solo when I want to solo, etc. Also, it can be a great marketing strategy if you're a solo guitarist and want exposure (as opposed to being just some nameless guitarist in a rock band or whatever).

Hope my advice helps.

Matt