How do you guys usually write your songs?

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
02/07/2004 3:19 am
Me and my brother always sit down int eh basement just fiddling around with chords. I usually come up with my songs.. playing someone elses... and i kind of branch off and say ( wow thats cool). my borhter then writes the bass lines... then we have a song. How do you guys come up with songs?

Do you think it up in your head...?... Do you just fiddle around with Chords...? Or do you branch off of other material...?

I'm just wondering about it.. because i just finished writing a song that sounds alot like kyuss.... ever heard of them?
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 1
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
02/07/2004 4:19 am
I just put random words to a melody, and re-arrange them until they make sense.:D
# 2
I Suffer
I Suffer
02/07/2004 5:32 am
I always here everything in my head. And it wont stop until i play it out.
# 3
TheWizard
TheWizard
02/07/2004 6:04 am
all our songs are based around one riff
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/07/2004 6:24 am
Mine come together lots of different ways.

Sometimes bass riffs that I later match vocals to, sometimes poetry that I suddenly decides to have music, sometimes I write on guitar and base things off of that...

Basicly, I'm a mess.

But it works for me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/07/2004 3:24 pm
Mine also comes through alot of different channels. 90% of the time, it's already in my head; or once I hit the first note I get something. When I got a melody with some kind of theme to it, I think of the right instrument to play it. Sometimes on guitar, sometimes on bass, or by messing with fruityloops, or this little generic mini keyboard I have. Once I get it out, usually only a phrase or a period. I start building from there. Then like a seed, it blossoms into a flower, woohooo!! :D

Rarely do I start with a chord progression, I think in past discussions I've made my reasons clear. As for branching off someone else's tune, I try not to do that but I also won't lie and say I haven't. Sometimes I do hear something in a song and say, "wow thats cool" and it will spawn an idea of my own. If it's a very distinct idea, I usually take it and retrograde it or do some variation of it so that's it's not exactly the same.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/07/2004 7:13 pm
Whenever I think of them, I never am by my guitar. It usually starts with me puttin words off the top of my head to a melody. Then I will think the song sounds cool in my head, and I start humming guitar fills and riffs that go with it. Before you know it, I'm running around my house singin all this random stuff while my family looks at me like I'm a spaz.

O and then I put it on guitar.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/07/2004 10:03 pm
When I get ideas it's usually at the worst time, so I keep a notebook handy and note down the idea. Just in case I don't remember what it sounded like I write down a description of the atmosphere and mood I was in at the time that provoked me to feel what I felt, per say. That way, when the time is better I can see what I was thinking and I'll have some imagination to put to it. When I've got my guitar in hand I just sorta play around, practice what I already know, look for more ideas, etc. Though it's odd, all the ideas I've noted down and such I still haven't completely finished my first song that I made by myself. I've got one other piece that a friend of mine mostly wrote. Kinda upsets me, though somethings I give myself expectations that I should be far better than I am. Course that goes away when I go and learn something new and do something even more so complex. Thus just taking me one step closer to actually making something. All in time. If you feel comfortable with it, find a formula that you like to work with. In that respect there is no wrong way to write a song. If you're making songs then there's no issue. If you're not happy with your songs, then, well I recommend you rethink a lot of things.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.