Metaljunkie

Trolle
Trolle
01/18/2001 10:37 am
Hi! This one is for Metaljunkie, who mailed me.
Your mail doesn't work, I just keep gettin' my mails back in the face, so here is my answer:

Hello there, Metalhead!

Hmmm....thanx for the compliment, I'm really flattered. But I don't consider myself an expert, though I do have some tricks up the sleeve.

Hitting other strings, causing unwanted noise, can be pretty frustrating, right? I still do it if I improvise a solo when jamming with a band, but only if I try something new, something to push my music forward.
The thing is, you need to put all your concentration together when practicing....on what? Answer: String damping!
Use your free fingers to mute the strings not played, usually the strings above the one you're playing. As you might know, this is a job for the index finger, because the others are doin' all the trills, hammers and ****.
When pressing a note with your index, try to touch the string above with the
tip of the finger, that way no buzz if you hit it. When bending with the middle and ringfinger (is that correct in english), you should damp at least one or
two of the above strings. Hmmm....I'll try to visualize it:

E--------------------------------------
B--------------------------------8~~~
G------------------------5----7^------
D----------------------------x---------
A---------------------------(x)--------
E---------------------------(x)--------

This is the mother of basic bend lick. The ^-sign meens bend a full step in an upward motion (from fret 7 up till 9, D to an E). The X's mark the muted strings, the A and E string mutes are optional, if you try to bend even
further. The index should do the 5 fret note and then quickly move to do the mute-job.
Damn, wish I could do some video to put up online, would be like 10 times easier to explain.
Hope this helps for now, but feel free to write again, just keep it here in the forum, cause others might have the same problem as you. :cool:

Fiddles
Trolle

# 1
Trolle
Trolle
01/18/2001 10:42 am
Oooops!

I forget to say, that sometimes, when you strike a note and let it hang for big sustain, or if you do a long trill on the same string, try muting with your picking hand! Not the common palm-mute, just use the fingers not holding the pick, and touch the string above and beneath the string you're playing.
This works indeed if you want to control a feedback of just a single note!

Work that ****in' guitar!!!

Fiddles
Trolle
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.