AMplifier

merker
merker
01/27/2004 11:00 pm
I have been saving up for a new amp. I currently have a Line 6 Flextone3 and when it doesnt have a mic on it, it tends to fart out when im turned loud(especially palm muting) So im looking for another amp, ive been wanting to get a halfstack, one with high gain, such as a Rectifier or Triple x. Do any of you own one?, and do you like it?

Playing Guitar is fun!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/28/2004 4:16 am
If you like the tone you get at low volume, you probably don't need a bigger amp. Take a look at the Low Wattage VS High Wattage thread on this section of the forum.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/28/2004 6:24 am
Mesa is good, but expensive. I think their F-50 combo might be what you're looking for. Laney is great, but they're in England (the guitarist for marilyn manson plays a vh100r by them). Randall is a huge metal amp company, at least look at them sometime. They aren't anywhere near my style, but they might be right down your alley. Carvin makes some good amps, I'm not sure what their metal lineup is but their legacy amp is a great piece of machinery. Peavey, I've never tried but I've heard good things about them.

Try stuff out, you'll find something you like. And don't stop looking until you completely fall in love with an amp and can't stop playing it. :)
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Death55
Death55
01/28/2004 9:54 am
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8350

Check out that thread. The peavy 5150 is compared to the duel rectifier and a lot of people prefer it. Sound clips can be found at harmony central http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/
If you look up "clips" on the gear section. You should find lots of clips there of it and lots of clips of other amps too. I know the engl powerball amp is supposed to be very good for gain aswell.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/29/2004 4:44 am
If you were ready to toss the money for a Rectifier,you mine as well go all the way and get a VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead,Bogner Uberschall,ENGL Powerball(4 channls!) or dare I say a Deizel.
On the other side of the coin,a 5150 1 or 2 might be your thing.I played a XXX and it sounded incredible..the only turn off for me is that its an obvious rip-off of a triple rectifier.
If you got a carvin,you could go for the steve vai legacy,but for less you could get the MTS 3200 and retube it with groove tubes or JJ's and have one helluva amp for less(and without stevies name on it).
Besides the crap tony lommi signature laney,I found it tough to find a real laney(vh100)...if you could find one at a decent price that would be good.
I would throw money on peavey...they have been uping there quality/price ratio well for the past few years.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Death55
Death55
01/29/2004 12:01 pm
I've heard laney a few times and i thought they were pretty good. Never played any amp with good gain before. The best amp ive play played is a 65watt crate or 100watt marshall mg amp and they were quite pathetic. The crate was ok but that was because it was getting destotion from a pedal.
Are there any solid state amps that actually have gain that compares to some tube amps ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/29/2004 1:09 pm
Originally posted by Death55
Are there any solid state amps that actually have gain that compares to some tube amps ?

Randall , listen to Pantera ... One of the highest gains you'll ever hear.
# 7
Death55
Death55
01/29/2004 7:03 pm
Yeah. I looked at an old thread and saw the his randalls were solid state. I never knew that and i used to listen to pantera all the time. I really didnt think it was possible to get such a good sound from a solid state amp !
# 8
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/29/2004 9:38 pm
I think George Lynch used S.S. Randalls too sometime in the 80's with Dokken , and he always had this awesome tone.
# 9
Death55
Death55
01/30/2004 7:34 pm
Just remember why dime bag gets such good distortion through those randall warheads ! Its a lot to do with his distortion pedal. I know someone who said they had the same setup as him and still couldnt get that really nice heavy tone. This person said that he needed a dime distortion pedal aswell. I'm sure randalls probably do make the best or one of the best solid state amps around though. Its just from what i've heard generally are going to kick a solid state amp in any kind of contest.
# 10
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/31/2004 12:39 pm
I've never heard that Dimebag used any dist pedals , he get it all from the amp ... It's called the Warehead , you can download sound samples from Randall site , same Pantera heaviness.
# 11
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/31/2004 7:07 pm
Dime uses more than just his amp to get that bottom heavy crunch.I know one component is an Aphex Aural Exiter with optical big bottom.
Try once,fail twice...
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.