Wiring idea

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/27/2004 2:23 am
I was wondering about something for rewiring a 2-hum. guitar..

I was thinking 2 knobs. The front one would be concentric, volume and neck tone, and the back one would be bridge tone with a push pot for switching series/parallel (I think you can series/parallel both pickups with one pot, correct me if I'm wrong).

What do you all think of this? Good idea? Bad idea? Would it be better with one master tone and a volume per pickup instead of one master volume and one tone per pickup, or would that defeat the purpose of having a 3-way switch?

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/27/2004 1:48 pm
Personally, I like the idea of having a volume and tone for each. This way you can preset them to whatever and flip your switch when you need too.

I don't think it defeats the purpose of the switch though. Alot of guitars have a master tone and volume.

As for the wiring, I'm not sure if you can hook up two pickups, both for series parallel, on the same knob.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/28/2004 4:30 am
Originally posted by Hammurabi
... with a push pot for switching series/parallel (I think you can series/parallel both pickups with one pot, correct me if I'm wrong)...
You need a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch for each 'bucker you want to wire for S/P selection. You could put both pickups on one 4PDT switch but then you couldn't switch them independantly, and you'd have fewer options. And I've never seen a push-pull pot that had a 4PDT switch built in. It might have to be custom made = very expensive.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/28/2004 6:37 am
What would be cool would be working a dpdt switch into a concentric volume/tone pot so you could control the entire pickup from one place, but that would probably be a custom job as well.

What can dpdt switches be like besides the push/pull option? I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything else.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/28/2004 6:50 am
What would be cool would be working a dpdt switch into a concentric volume/tone pot so you could control the entire pickup from one place, but that would probably be a custom job as well.
It would also need a very thick guitar body.

What can dpdt switches be like besides the push/pull option? I tried looking around but I couldn't find anything else.
It's actually more commonly available as a toggle switch that looks like a smaller version of the pickup selector.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/28/2004 6:50 am
Ooh..inspiration..

Now I'm thinking 3 pickups PRS style.
Front- push/pull pot neck volume/neck DPDT
Middle- push/pull pot bridge volume/neck DPDT
Back- concentric pot neck tone/bridge tone.
-A.H.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.