View post (What do you think of black/death metal?)

View thread

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
01/20/2004 10:53 pm
Ok, at the end of the day I still don't really understand what the difference is between black metal and death metal. Is it like the difference between regular fries and curly fries? :P

On a different note, I present you with a serious question. Answer it truthfully. Do you guys HONESTLY think that the gutteral groaning/constipated sounds of death metal 'vocalists' really offer anything musical to the ear? I mean, do you actually enjoy listening to their growling and find some musical merit in it? The thing is, even if you like the band itself, the vocalist can ruin everything (in my opinion). This is why I never got into black/death metal. I used to listen to Metallica, Megadeth, and other heavy acts, but I could never get into death metal because as soon as the vocalist started singing, I would laugh my head off. Even to this day, I occasionally watch death metal videos on Much Music for a laugh...I can't take it seriously. It just sounds like garbage, even if there's a hint of talent from the guitarist or drummer or whatever. The only marginally-acceptable grunt vocalist (in my opinion) that sounded half-decent was Rob Zombie in La Sexorcisto....but even then, show music like that to your average joe or your parents, for example, and they'll say it's complete crap. Anyway, my head's out of metal these days. I found as I got better on guitar that it reflected on my musical tastes and stuff that once impressed me like 'Master of Puppets' no longer holds my interest (at least from a guitarist stand-point). Now, I much prefer instrumental shredders (Shawn Lane, Vai, Satch, the usual) and more retro stuff (SRV, Hendrix, Doobie Brothers). :)