New Nut

Seve420
Seve420
01/15/2004 11:15 am
I've got a Squier Strat and I rarely use the tremelo arm because it tends to go out of tune. Some of the strings, mainly the G string, go a bit higher. Should I get another nut installed? If so, how much would that cost?

Also on some of the pick up selections there is a slight buzz. Should I just get them adjusted or looked at or replace them?
Latest News: Bird and bee have sex with disastrous results
# 1
Death55
Death55
01/15/2004 12:07 pm
You could get a locking nut for quite cheap i think. Probably around £10 if thats what you mean. I'm not sure because i've never actually bought one seperatly. You will get buzz with those pick ups. You could try keeping your pickup selector 1 notch from the end and a pedal of and effects unit thingy will help reduce buzz. Also if you have your computer on near by it will cause you to get buzz. My friend found getting a better amp got rid of the buzz but that could be costly !
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/15/2004 5:18 pm
Originally posted by Seve420
I've got a Squier Strat and I rarely use the tremelo arm because it tends to go out of tune. Some of the strings, mainly the G string, go a bit higher. Should I get another nut installed? If so, how much would that cost?

Also on some of the pick up selections there is a slight buzz. Should I just get them adjusted or looked at or replace them?

I own an old Squier as well, don't play it anymore, but it was my first so I kept it around. The slight buzz you're hearing on some pick-up selections, mostly middle and neck, is due to the fact that they are single coil pickups. You won't be able to get rid of that buzz, single coils are just noisy. Hence the name for humbuckers. "Hum......bucking." They buck the hum of the often noisy single coils.

As far as the problem with tuning, I never figured that out as well. I just never used the trem arm until I get a new axe with a Floyd Rose. But those do go out of tune quite often.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/15/2004 10:44 pm
Go for a good nut(like a 'Earvana' or 'LSR roller nut').
Have it setup after installation(by a guitar tech or yourself)

the nut replacment(provided that you already have the nut you want installed)will cost anywhere from $5 to $20.
With a complete setup(fret crowning,truss rod adjustment,hardware check,intonation e.c.t)it will run you from around $20 to $60.

Dont overpay though...check around your local music stores before you choose a shop tech.

Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
01/17/2004 3:17 am
All strats with the old style 6 screw bridge wack out of tune when the tremolo is used.One thing that works well is,if your bridge is set flush to the body,after your done useing the arm give it a yank up that gets it pretty close to back in tune. I wouldn't install a l;ocking nut cause with out microtuners ala.Floyd Rose you can't retune the guitar when the strings stretch a little.
As far as the nut its self I've allways like brass nuts these cost about $50 to have made. ou could also try rubbing a little pencil lead into the nut slots as lubrication for the strings,but old strats never stay intune under tremolo use ask Jimi Hendrix.
As far as the 60 cycle hum from the pups that can't be helped.You can replace the pups with stacked hum canceling single coils like Dimarzio's HS-3 thats a nice pickup.
Stock single will e quiet but make sure your not near any transormers,asically any appliance like TVs etc... have transformers and will cause you to hum if the appliance is on.Also playing in bars most of the time stock singles will e fine,except for the time you have a beer sign right nex to your rig,then its a disaster.
Noise gates are OK but cut the tail end of your sustain off if you can live with that they can eliminate the hum.

[Edited by Guitar-Sam on 01-16-2004 at 09:26 PM]
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.