View post (Low Wattage VS High Wattage)

View thread

Death55
Death55
01/13/2004 12:20 pm
Originally posted by guitarmanxxxx
I can't get the tone Im wanting because I cant turn up the amps high enough to get the tubes cookin without blowing eardrums and causing stuff to fall off the walls.

I see what you mean. Maybe your amps are not good enough. I have heard some high wattage amps can give you a really good tone at a low volume as well as when you have it at a high volume. E.g the 5150 II. Thats why i'm thinking of getting one because i will hopefully be able to have it at a lower volume and still get the nice tone. I know my friend was saying about getting a lower wattage amp and running it though a P.A system. I have read in a previous post about really famous bands running lower wattage amps through a P.A. I guess its a personal opinion. Some high wattage amps you will never get that great tone at low volume.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.