Customized guitars

moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
01/11/2004 9:36 pm
i was thinkin bout makin my own customized guitar. Dont have much experience with building them, but i was wonderin if anyone builds their own guitars? how does pricing compare to that of buying your own parts or juss gettin a complete guitar?
# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/11/2004 10:23 pm
It way cheaper to buy one if you plan on using quality parts, but if you build your own, you get to pick the quality and type of wood, fret size, type of finish, neck profile, radius, feel, yada yada yada... I would recommend a book called "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. He takes you through building 2 guitars and a bass, in bolt on, glue in, and neck thru configurations. Bear in mind though, it takes a lot of specialized equipment, such as bandsaws, routers, sanders, etc. not to mention fret files, fret hammers, router templates for different things, specialized router bits to rout things like truss rods, cavities, etc. and all this costs a lot of money. You can pick up most of the specialized stuff you need here including the book.
Also don't forget you need some kind of degree of skill in woodworking to tackle this kind of task. I wouldn't even think about wasting that kind of effort and time and money on this venture if you have never done anything in the woodworking field. You have to be deftly proficient in using a router safely, as some of these cavities you have to rout are quite deep and can break a bit easily. Make sure you use a 1/2 inch cutter.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/11/2004 10:24 pm
Also check out http://www.projectguitar.com for other tutorials and referece.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.