Tensed right shoulder

beginner
beginner
01/06/2004 5:58 pm
Can you give me some tips how I could relax my right shoulder? I think it´s not very tensed but i feel some tension, especially when I do sweep picking. Because at the moment I´m still practising first arpeggio of eugenes Trick bag( which I can play with 120 bpm now). When I lay it my right shoulder gets much more tensed then the left hand, although the right hand isn´t hard. Right hand and arm is relaxed, only the shoulder...
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
01/06/2004 6:23 pm
Is it bothering you, physically? Many guitarists use different techniques on picking, some use the most limited motion, others use a lot more motion. The benefits to using the least amount of motion would be stamina. If you're not moving all over the place, you'll be able to do it a lot longer.

I don't understand really how your arm and wrist and hand can be relaxed but your shoulder is tensed? Maybe you're trying to play it too fast? Hence you get tensed trying to go faster than you're able. Comfort is an important part of playing and will help you in the long run.

Explain the situation a bit more. Does your shoulder tense up during everything you play? What about when you're strumming chords? Alternate picking?
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
progg
progg
01/07/2004 5:55 am
Originally posted by beginner
Can you give me some tips how I could relax my right shoulder? I think it´s not very tensed but i feel some tension, especially when I do sweep picking. Because at the moment I´m still practising first arpeggio of eugenes Trick bag( which I can play with 120 bpm now). When I lay it my right shoulder gets much more tensed then the left hand, although the right hand isn´t hard. Right hand and arm is relaxed, only the shoulder...

I get tension in the pickingarm and shoulder when I play sitting down mainly. When practising like sweeping and stuff. I guess my arms are longer than they should (for practising when sitting down) I dunno but I try to stand up and play as often as possible.
Don't look at me, swan!
# 3
beginner
beginner
01/07/2004 4:48 pm
to pantallica: If I´m doing Alternate picking it´s less tensed, but not relaxed. Strumming chords: Not really tensed i would think, but the left shoulder is more relaxed. But for example when i play some fast metal riffs with mainly downstrokes like blackened for a longer time it gets quite tensed! I don´t think that i wanna play too fast because I always start slowly and also put the bpms up slowly.

to progg: might be that standing up helps, but i don´t feel comfortable with practicing while standing, or should I really do that?
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/08/2004 2:27 pm
I think your problem has to do with the way you hold the guitar , try chaning your seat and position ... You should be very comfortable when you play.
Stresses in the forearm as you speed up is pretty normal , but tension in the shoulders isn't usual.
# 5
progg
progg
01/08/2004 2:32 pm
Originally posted by beginner
to progg: might be that standing up helps, but i don´t feel comfortable with practicing while standing, or should I really do that?

I have no idea what's best but I practice both sitting and standing. I bet you won't be sitting down when you're playing with a band (if you are or intend to) so I guess both ways are good. Try standing and see if it atleast helps with the tension part. I'm not your doctor so I can't really say what's best for you =)
Don't look at me, swan!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.