It wasn't that hard...

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/04/2004 4:18 pm
to learn alternate picking for me. Anyone in agreement, anyone in disagreement? I don't understand why we get so many questions about it, I find it to be quite a simple technique.

# 1
Death55
Death55
01/04/2004 4:26 pm
It is quite straight forward. I think its mainly when people hold their picks in an arkward way they start having problems. Appart from that it shouldnt be to hard if they just practice it.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/04/2004 7:52 pm
It's one of those things where thinking about what you're doing tends to slow you down. Practice and familiarity will eventually get you to the point that you no longer think about it. Then everything smoothes out nicely.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/04/2004 9:05 pm
Not thinking... I'm good at that.

*note sarcasm*

# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
01/05/2004 12:17 am
once u get it, it just clicks and you think to yourself What the hell was wronge with me? why couldnt I just do this before?

at least thats what it was like for me

Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/05/2004 5:59 am
Originally posted by iiholly
Not thinking... I'm good at that.

*note sarcasm*
Au Contraire...

Your posts are usually both lucid and cogent. If you can do that without thinking, you are truly Zen beyond your years.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
progg
progg
01/05/2004 6:56 am
to learn alternate picking for me. Anyone in agreement, anyone in disagreement? I don't understand why we get so many questions about it, I find it to be quite a simple technique.

Same for me. I think it was easy to grasp but becoming really awesome is another story. As someone else wrote it might depend on how you hold your pick etc. For me I, quite recently actually, changed the way I placed/held my picking hand and got lots more stability which have improved my picking a great deal - alternate mainly, cuz that was I was trying to improve. I have been playing for a couple of years so it's never too late to face the fact that some of your techniques are crap =)
Don't look at me, swan!
# 7
the fool
the fool
01/05/2004 7:32 am
maybe, sometimes people tend to spend more time worrying and thinking about learning the technique or how the technique was taught rather than naturalizing and just playing it with common sense. it's hard to use your common sense if you believe that the problem you are solving is a complex one- and therefore must need a complex answer in the first place.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 8
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/05/2004 9:58 am
I did it naturally without knowing there was a fuss surrounding it. The close up shot of slashs hand on the intro to sweet child prompted me to try it then I realised that what I was doing it all along!
I think guitar is likin anything in life, if you approach every aspect of it without prior opinions or predujices and just learn and play logically youl get good. Its almost like playing a computer game! Completing different aspects of it at your own will! Level 7 - Cock Rock - Pass
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/05/2004 2:36 pm
I always seem to default to economy picking, even when a guitar teacher tried to show me sweep picking... lol. After some practice, I got sweep picking down (at low speeds). Alternate picking would probably take some thought for me at first, since economy picking is what comes naturally.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 10
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/05/2004 9:41 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
Au Contraire...

Your posts are usually both lucid and cogent. If you can do that without thinking, you are truly Zen beyond your years. [/B]

Uhh...I don't consider Zen lucid or cogent. I consider it thoughtless and random. Anything that is wacky and oxymoronic is Zen, therefore anything even approaching lucid and cogent is not.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/05/2004 10:18 pm
I take a Taoist approach to the concept of Zen. It works out quite nicely.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/05/2004 10:48 pm
So you take a nature worshipping approach to nonsensical thinking methods? Go you.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/06/2004 12:06 am

[/B]
Au Contraire...

Your posts are usually both lucid and cogent. If you can do that without thinking, you are truly Zen beyond your years. [/B][/QUOTE]

Lucid and cogent... its time like these I'm happy I have three dictionaries sitting next to my computer. Thanks by the way.

# 14
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/06/2004 6:33 am
...Thanks by the way.
You're welcome :)

And don't mind Jolly McWhassname. He seems to have acquainted himself with many things, while not having studied any of them.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
the fool
the fool
01/06/2004 6:37 am

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Au Contraire...

Your posts are usually both lucid and cogent. If you can do that without thinking, you are truly Zen beyond your years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucid and cogent... its time like these I'm happy I have three dictionaries sitting next to my computer. Thanks by the way.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! 3 dicitionaries. Can I borrow one? I don't think I got those ones either.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/06/2004 8:49 pm
...Thanks by the way.
You're welcome :)

And don't mind Jolly McWhassname. He seems to have acquainted himself with many things, while not having studied any of them.

No, I studied Zen and it seemed about as far from sensical as one gets. Faking Zen is the easiest thing in the world to do, just be random as hell.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.