View post (Roland VS 1880)

View thread

the fool
the fool
01/02/2004 5:18 pm
Oh no, Dr_simon, I don't mind you telling these things to me. I'm not that good anyways. This is the first that I am getting serious with recording so I'm going to need a lot of help. I'm really more used to playing live with a band on a stage- not in the recording studio. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a beginner when it comes to recording. As I said, I don't have a very big ego- just a big head lol.

By the way, if you don't mind, I just have a couple of questions that I want to ask you- if you can bear with my long posts (I think I'm beating Jolly as king of long posts don't you think?). Thanks.

(1) What ways can i make sure that i don't overload the input? I tried turning down the volume on my controls, on the amp, and all this stuff in the recorder but i find that it always has an effect on the product CD- the sound is abnormally of low volume, even if i turn the volume knob on my cd player to 10.

(2) No matter what I do, I always have a problem with the bass whenever I am mixing instruments. It's just too loud (its like its comming from a broken set of speakers)that it drowns the whole music. When I try to make the other instruments louder by using the eq, I end up drowning the bass. Even when I am plucking by myself or using my two finger technique where I use the thumb to play bass and the other finger to strum to add a light touch, the bass still sounds awfully loud. What can I do to have a more clear and equalized bass sound.

(3) With the vocals, what's a good effect to add and what settings do you use? I use the reverb and delay but it's too much. I tried changing the settings for them effects but somehow i either get something too weak or too much- nothing in between that's just enough for what I'm looking for.

(4) I also want to add that during the last few months, whenever I record, I plug everything straight to the VS- 1880. My bassment is under some construction so I have to move everything up in my room. The problem is, I have too much equipment, but i only have an extremely small room that I don't have enough space to put them amps and mics. Could this set up be the reason why I am getting this distorted sound? thanks.

(5)About the limiter, I think I haven't studied how to use it in the manual. I don't even know what a limiter is. Would you kindly explain to me how it works?

Again, thank you very much for all the help and for being patient. I appreciate the help.

"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"