View post (Open jam night blues)

View thread

the fool
the fool
12/31/2003 7:18 pm
interesting story. thnx for sharing. firsts never always go perfect but there's always the second time to improve. It reminds of a school gig that I played with my old highschool band called EMANON (that's no name spelled backwards). It consists of 3 people- me on rythm and vocals, my friend Allan on lead guitar, and Joseph on drums. It was international night at school so its a very big audience- (around 400- 500) the gym and the hallway leading to it were jam packed with insiders and outsiders. It's one of my most memorable gigs. Allan and Joseph haven't experienced playing live before. Only I have. Hours before the show, I thought the principal and coordinator of the activities won't let us play because they thought we suck. You see, during the many runs and preparations done months before the event, none of us came into practice. And if we did, either, we're incomplete or there's no equipment lol. For instance, there was this time when only me and the drummer came- it was the last rehearsals i think a week before the show. I thought the music department would take care of the equipment but there was no drums and mics!!! None the less, we had to show our stuff because it was protocol. It was the most horrible **** that I've ever been so far lol. Anyways, when the day of the show came, the principal insist that we don't play that day. Lucky for me, I have a couple of teachers who trust me and together we convinced the principal to give me a chance. When our time came to perform onstage, we just gave each other a good look. Although we've never ever practised together as a group, I just had to trust their instincts and their musicianship. It was the most magical show I tell you despite of the technical (equipment) problems on stage- Allan's distortion pedal stopped working before we played our song on stage but he got it to work just in time (It's funny because that moment was the last time his pedal worked, its like his pedal gave it a one last try before it died). In the middle of the song, the music department's drums were starting to fall apart and were starting to move. It's good no one noticed it on stage. Only the drummer did- and he remained a professional during the situation. He just played like nothing was happening.
Everyone was just jumping and screaming. WE ACTUALLY PULLED THE DAMN SONG!!!

Anyways, I hope you guys do good on that battle of the bands thing. I hope you guys pull it off.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"