View post (Why a stack?)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
01/01/2004 9:32 pm
Originally posted by the fool
The Dirt
What do you think of using effects unit like a Korg AX 1500g together with a small amp on stage? Would the effects sound different in a mic'ed small amp than one plugged on a stack? When you plug in the effects, do you plug it on the clean channel by any chance? I haven't personally tried giging with an effects unit on small amps but when I get my chance, I'll give it a try on my next show.

Absolutely, I go from my guitar through my effects unit, through the CLEAN channel on my amp. I do not suggest using an amp's distortion in combination with effects units that simulate distortion. That can get plain nasty. I'm not familiar with the Korg effects unit, but running that through a small amp and mic'ing it through a PA system would be a great idea - that's what I do at church.

As for my bigger amp, it doesn't have a distortion channel! It's a keyboard amp. I go from the guitar to the RP200 (which I love... the presets suck, but you can make your own holy grail of tone with some work) to the amp.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster