Staining a maple fretboard darker...

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/31/2003 1:32 am
Is this a viable option?
I like the look of maple fretboards on strats,but for the Ibanez rg1550 prestige that I plan on getting,it dosn't fit IMO.I'd like a darker shade if possible.Is there a specific stain I can use?
Ive also seen some nifty painted fretboards of bright colors such as blue,red e.c.t.What kind of paint is used so it dosnt effect action?

My overall plan for the guitar will be

1.Replace stock pups with dimarzio evo's(mabey an XN2 in the bridge)and chopper or other single coil in the mid pos.
2.Custom pickguard,truss rod cover,neck plate and back access cover(brushed diamond plate... I think J.W makes them or something).
3.Replace pots,wiring..well...that goes with number 1.

And 4.Darken the maple fretboard one way or another...
which is where I'm at ends...

It will be my under a grand answer to a JEM.

Thanks in advance!
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
12/31/2003 3:11 am
you should be able to use any stain. you just have to sand off the laquer on the maple board, which is a real trick considering you also have to be careful of the frets.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
sambob
sambob
12/31/2003 4:16 am
You know what though.. maple gets darker the longer you use it anyway. All of my HM Strats (keep in mind, these have scalloped frets, and were rubbed down with linseen oil) started out very bright, and although they're not by any means shiny anymore... they're got a darker tone.
# 3
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/31/2003 5:29 am
If you wanna change the pups,wireing and fretboard all befor you evan get the guitar,seems like its not really the guitar you really want.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/31/2003 2:22 pm
Originally posted by sambob
You know what though.. maple gets darker the longer you use it anyway. All of my HM Strats (keep in mind, these have scalloped frets, and were rubbed down with linseen oil) started out very bright, and although they're not by any means shiny anymore... they're got a darker tone.

I second that. I had to replace my neck about 3 or 4 years ago, and the neck has gotten progressively darker. I didn't like the original bright white neck at first, but the colour has darkened to the point that I think it looks great.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/31/2003 5:59 pm
Put a sun lamp on the neck for a month it'll get darker.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 6
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/01/2004 10:08 pm
Its definitley the guitar I want... well I would like one of the very expensive PRS dragon models(the massive inlaid ones that go for like 10 to 20 thousand bucks),but I'm bind by reality.Like I said,it would be my semi-custom answer to the jem(and without that stupid monkey grip).

My friend had played a strat with a maple fretboard for a long time.It was pretty worn and darker then any fresh board.He took it to a g-shop to have it setup and cleaned,specifically the fretboard.The guy told him maple necks are unique to the fact that they aquire character with use and age.It shows the areas of medium that you express yourelf on...

Yeah,I'll just stain it.
Try once,fail twice...
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
01/07/2004 7:55 pm
I think you should just play for a while and allow the maple to gradually become darker, but i agree with Guitar sam on this one...why buy a guitar that you wanna adjust and change so much, If I were you I would look for a guitar that I already like.

Also remember that sound very definately comes before cosmetics ( except in a dictionary )
so if your axe sounds good, that is the main thing, no one really cares what color a guitar is, if the player is awesome.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.