tube and valvestate

concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/31/2003 12:49 am
mmm..

where can i get good info on amps.. as in proper info not marketed crap that tells u oh how this got inproved and this too but improved from what..and like whats the difference between tube and valvestate amps....

like even on my amp manual for the marshall avt series..does not explain much about the technical stuff in the amp..

can i be more vague?
i think not....................help.....

'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 1
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/31/2003 1:16 am
doesnt anyone wanna get into an amp discussion?

:confused:

'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 2
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
12/31/2003 3:06 am
Well a tube amp has an all tube power stage and a valvestate uses a solidstate power and a tube gain stage. Appently it is done because the solid state is a more efficient amplifier powerwise, but they don't have that tube "punch"

I probably got a schematic somewhere for one. If you can read them it will probably be more benificial to you.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 3
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/31/2003 4:35 am
I think in some cases valvestate is just a nice way of saying a solidstate amp thats trying to sound like tubes.
Allot of the time its a solid state amp with like 1 12ax7 tube in the preamp,basically a really nice sounding solidtsate amp.
If your budget allows I allways recommend tubes.If the cash flow is low then just try all the amps in your range and pick the best one.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2003 1:29 pm
I have had two Marshall Valve states VS65R and a 30 water. I really don't like em though they are better than say a Peavey Bandit. My next amp will be an all tube 30-75 w something, maybe a Messa something or other. To be honest Im very happy with my pod / GNX2 studio speakers / headphones (what a sad little bedroom guitarist I am),
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/31/2003 3:56 pm
yea i mean i have a marshall avt100 etc..but i want more info on the type of sound that a valvestate and a tube sound is, cus like im happy with this amp but someday id like to get a good one thta i am certain of what it contains.
and hairbndrckr id like to read your schematic cus i need info to read..thanks
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/31/2003 4:03 pm
Originally posted by concrete chaos
mmm..

where can i get good info on amps.. as in proper info not marketed crap that tells u oh how this got inproved and this too but improved from what..

Have you tried Harmony Central? Here's the link. There are reviews there for almost every guitar product out there. Some reviews are helpful, many are not. Caveat emptor.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/31/2003 6:12 pm
The differance between tubes and solid state or patial solid state is.Tubes will have a little warmer sound less buzy more smooth.But the main differance I notice is in dynamics a tube amp is very touch sensative,our pick attack will change the ups and downs of your playing,were as in a solid state it doesnt, a medium attack and an agresive attack both sound the same on a solid state,just not a s as smooth.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.