Understanding who we are through lyrics...

Joseph
Joseph
01/11/2001 4:02 am
Lyrics, they are sometimes hard to write, in saying that do you feel its hard to sometimes express how we feel and have enough confidence to sing our words in public for others to analyze? (If you're lucky enough to have someone else sing your words for you that kind of takes the pressure of it, but still its sometimes really hard for others to express the thoughts of others properly.

Just like any project, its important to disregard what others might think, or how they might missinterpret how you feel, that is if you want pure satisfaction with your words, (basically if you want to write a good song.) To be honest I'm getting rather tired of the safe approach that has been practiced for what seems like years, because alot of musicians today are obviously afraid how the public will re-act, as well as the consequences. But when writing music, its important to make certain sacrifices, not primarily so you gain respect from others, but because we want to reach a better understanding of who we are, 9as musicians.)

-Joseph, :).

[Edited by Joseph on 01-10-2001 at 11:04 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
01/11/2001 4:43 am
I've never been too big on lyrics. Vocals I like, lyrics are just there because most people wouldn't tolerate nothing but scat (I would.) For this reason, I don't write songs with lyrics, and don't really pay attention to the lyrics in the music I listen to. The way I see it, the lyrics are seperate from the music; its a different form of expression. While I like writing english, and I like music, I never really felt the desire to put them together you know?
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
01/12/2001 5:17 am
Originally posted by LuigiCabrini
The way I see it, the lyrics are seperate from the music; its a different form of expression. While I like writing english, and I like music, I never really felt the desire to put them together you know? [/B]

I always write my lyrics seperate from the music, and to the most extent I feel that the music comes first. For the most part its the melodies that we remember years from now, and sometimes the words are the least bit of our concern. But still I feel that every good song, (that requires lyrics) deserves good lyrics. And in order to express how we feel sometimes its really worth to tap into our brains, regardless on what others might think (how theyt just might interpret our words.) For myself, when listening to the music it kind of sets off certain vibes where I can almost get an idea exactly where I want to go with lyrics, (its kind of like a puzzle for me.

I guess I kind of do some of my best practicing in my mind, when I'm just away from it all (in my favorite spot away from home.) Its nice to be able visualize the concept of your song before its recorded or written on paper, where you can kind of hear how it supposed to go in your mind, the anticipation of a positive outcome in a future event. And with the scenery at the time of thought, or hatever excess thoughts come into my head, it just kind of paints a nice picture. When it comes to music, Ive just always felt its very important to be able tpo rely on your intuition, and to get to this point it takes alot of practice. With lyrics, I guess I try my best to express exactly how i'm feeling for the better of the song.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.