Power metal-question

Inisfail
Inisfail
12/26/2003 3:12 pm
Hi guys!

Most hardrockers that don't prefer power metal often thinks that it is boring music, to much swords and dragons etc.

I don't listen much to power myself, but some weeks ago I heard Kamelot and the cd Karma. Anyone else who heard it?
However, their guitarist Thomas Youngblood does most of the music, as I understood it. Is he good? I made my own tablatures over "Forever", "Requiem of Innocent" and "Fall from grace".

I can't decide wether it's good or standard. I found their music more complex than I thought first time I heard it. Does the music refer alot to Rhapsody (a band I have almost not heard)? Well, just give me your opinion.

Ps. My opinion is that their singer, Roy Khan, kicks Geoff Tate and Michael Kisk. Big words, but honestly, I saw Kamelot this sommer at Sweden Rock Festival (which Queensrÿche visited aswell) and Roy sings perhaps better live than on the studio album. Ds
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
sambob
sambob
12/26/2003 4:34 pm
The guitar on Kamelot's albums isn't too much, not too little, in my opinion its exactly what it needs to be. And yes, its a good album, very good. The amazing thing about Kamelot is though, they get better and better after each album. Check out their newest release "Epica" to see what I mean.

I agree with you about their singer too, not only is he very talented, but he just has a voice that is nice to listen to, its tonal quality kind of reminds me of my mother at times (in a good way).

They are a bit similiar to Rhapsody in some ways, but only a bit.

As for the swords and dragons, thats one of the primary reasons I first started listening to power metal. I was heavily into fantasy books at the time, even the occassional bit of AD&D. Of course I soon realized the music to be kickass too. But nothing beats being able to sing out loud a line like "Test the blade of heroes, fury of the thunder
hit my golden shield!"
# 2
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/26/2003 6:55 pm
If you want to hear good power metal try stratovarious or savatoge..... they are pretty good altho stratovarius can get pretty lame.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 3
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
12/27/2003 3:42 am
Originally posted by sambob
The amazing thing about Kamelot is though, they get better and better after each album. Check out their newest release "Epica" to see what I mean.
Epica is a great concept album, every prog/power metal fan should own it.
# 4
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
12/31/2003 1:51 am
i could be getting outta point. here.

depending on how heavy u like your sound....

but these are some of my fave metal bands, u can compare to

if u like epic sounds id go for arcturus, ulver - although they have some folk releaSES too

bathory is way early and all bands must give respect to him, - those screeching raspy vocals....sound familiar in almost evryband after bathory - and venom as well, although most bathory recordings arnt as good as well produced [in proper studio] albums its till way good plus its mainly one guy.

sodom have great riffs and nice solos....i can think of a song called 'tired and red' right now.
burzum, mayhem, ved buens ende, etc...ahhh theres sooo many i better stop...

'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 5
sambob
sambob
12/31/2003 4:13 am
Just out of curiousity..

What the hell do all those black metal bands you mentioned have to do with power metal?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.