The Last Samurai

Bodomchild
Bodomchild
12/18/2003 12:06 am
Although not a big Tom Cruise fan, this was one of my favorite movies of all time. It was done very well with a great cast, beautiful setting and a powerful message.
Was the modernization of Japan at the turn of the century worth the price of forcing out a culture of ethics and a strict code of honor?
Hollywood wants us to believe it wasn't.
Regardless of the apparent manipulation, I thought it was an entertaining film with an interesting perspective on the feudal system.

# 1
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
12/18/2003 12:09 am
I watched a History Channle thing about all the Samurai stuff, and it was pretty interesting. Interesting to capture my attention for atleast a good 15 minutes. I want to see it, because I am a big Tom Cruise fan. Its not because of his acting though. :)

# 2
sambob
sambob
12/18/2003 12:17 am
I thought it was pretty bad, but one thing (well a couple things) really annoyed me.

Now, true, my only knowledge from the period of time this movie took place was from a man with a doctor of american history (in particular civil war era history), and another with a similiar level of qualification..but as far as I know.. this kind of thing never happened.

Also, the tactcs used by the lieutenant colonel (his name escapes me now) were just stupid. ANY union officer (or soldier for that matter) wouldn't have done any of the things he did.

And third, wheres the cavalry? Both Tom Cruise's character, and the lieutenant colonel were in the 7th cavalry in the American civil war!
# 3
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
12/18/2003 2:00 am
i thought it was a great movie regardless of what others say..i have to say my favorite part was watching tom get beat with a wooden sword..HAHA
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 4
Bodomchild
Bodomchild
12/18/2003 2:09 am
Originally posted by sambob
I thought it was pretty bad

Bad means good, right?:confused:

but as far as I know.. this kind of thing never happened.

True, but historically in 1877 there was a war between 40,000 Samurai rebels and 60,ooo modernized government troops trained in western military tactics with modern warfare. It was the battle of Satsuma. Sound familiar?

Also, the tactcs used by the lieutenant colonel (his name escapes me now) were just stupid. ANY union officer (or soldier for that matter) wouldn't have done any of the things he did.[QUOTE]

Agreed, the battle was short, but for the movies it was dramatized to be more entertaining.

[QUOTE]And third, wheres the cavalry? Both Tom Cruise's character, and the lieutenant colonel were in the 7th cavalry in the American civil war!

Not to be a smartass, but this took place in Japan at the end of the 19th century. You don't just load up 60,000 soldiers on a fleet of aircraft carriers and ship them half way across the world. The reason Cruise and the Lt.Colonel were there was to train the Japanese army to fight the Samarai to bring free trade and modernize Japan.
# 5
Trent J Liberty
Trent J Liberty
12/18/2003 7:07 am
I have to be on the pro side of this movie. I just loved thsi movie. I wasn't too concerned with technicalities and just enjoyed the movie. It was the best movie I've seen this year so far, but I am going to see Return Of The King tomorrow, so I don't think the title will stand for all that long.
~Trent Jacob Liberty~

# 6
Bodomchild
Bodomchild
12/19/2003 4:37 am
Originally posted by Trent J Liberty
It was the best movie I've seen this year so far, but I am going to see Return Of The King tomorrow, so I don't think the title will stand for all that long.

I saw Return of the King tonight and it was good, but I will say it didn't move me like The Last Samurai did.
# 7
Niklasl
Niklasl
12/19/2003 3:08 pm
Hmmm has anyone seen the shogun series ?
...and that is funny
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.