Phase Shifting

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/15/2003 5:46 am
What is phase shifting?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/15/2003 5:52 am
e.g. your speakers are out of phase when you have one speaker with positive and negative outputs on the amp going to the positive and negative inputs of the speaker, but the other speaker has them reversed. That's as much as I know...

Thus, I assume that pickups out of phase are the same, where you have two pickups selected and one of them has the polarity reversed in relation to the other.

If that's what you mean by "phase shifting".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Death55
Death55
12/15/2003 11:13 am
OK... Whats does this actually do ?
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/15/2003 11:18 am
The phase is the "signature" of a tone/noise.
Take for example the picture of a sine starting at zero, then moving up to the thighest point, then down, crossing zero to the lowest point and going back to zero again. one full cycle. (simplyfied example)
if you take the same sine but start with a downmovement, its "phase" is inverted. when you have 2 identical signals, and you invert the phase of one of them, they´ll cancel eachother out and you wont hear anything. those phase cancellations can be a problem when recording with microphones. for example when you mic a snare drum from above and below and you mix those two togehter, you have to invert the phase of one of the two signals.

i guess i did not explain it too well.. *L

however - thats inverting the phase - spinning the signal around the zero-axis.
shifting the phase is moving the signal along the time axis. (gimme a pen and a paiece of paper and i can show you *LOL*

Shifting does alter the sound whilst inverting does not

[Edited by Azrael on 12-15-2003 at 05:22 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/15/2003 7:37 pm
That sounds a bit tricky to work with.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.