Naming this chord

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/08/2003 9:21 pm
Here's a chord I use for fingerpicking. I've never heard any other guitarist use it because I made it up myself (I know, dangerous thing to do). It doesn't sound the best, but it has its uses.

e-2 (index)
b-0
g-4 (ring)
d-4 (flipper)
a-6 (pinky)
e-4 (thumb)

I've been wondering, what is it called?

Lets see.. it's [Ab, Eb, F#, B], B, F#.
Abm7 is [Ab, Eb, F#, B], Eb, Ab,
B is F#, B, F#, B, Eb, F#,

So..B/Ab(m7)? I dunno if it would just be written B/Ab because the C in Ab major doesn't fit. Or is it just an alternate voicing of Abm7? Any other ideas?

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/09/2003 12:09 am
Check out my response to your other thread where you mentioned this chord. I came up with Abm7 or G#m7 depending on how you want to look at it.

Oh, and Hammurabi, Abm7 = Ab, Cb, Eb, Gb. The reason I'd rather call it G#m7 is because who the hell wants to play in Abm which uses Cb?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/09/2003 11:54 pm
That chord kicked my a$$...I hate having to use my thumb.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/10/2003 12:51 am
I should probably explain my use of sharps and flats..

In concert band key signatures have either only naturals and sharps or naturals and flats. What happens is some notes are only used as one or the other commonly. With a concert C instrument, like the flute or piano or guitar, you will see Bb or Ab millions of times more than A# or G#, whereas you'll see F# commonly but I've never seen Gb. That's the way it goes for concert music. In order for those exceptions to occur it requires playing in completely queer keys like Db (which is not C#, becuase that note is most commonly seen in the key of Ab. It's the fourth flat of the scale after Bb, Eb, and Ab).
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.